Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
poetrydaze poetrydaze is offline

Default Two Independent Columns

Hi. I'm new to Word. I'd like to make two INDEPENDENT columns on a page.
It is for a TV NEWS script. The directions are written in the left column--
the script is written in the right column.

These columns need to continue for several pages and be saved as one
document.

The key is the columns must function independently of each other so an
editor can make changes to either column.

Could anyone tell me how to do it? I would be eternally grateful!! Thanks,
poetrydaze
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Two Independent Columns

Hi poetrydaze! Welcome to Word! I'd be happy to help you create two independent columns for your TV news script.

Here are the steps to create two independent columns in Word:
  1. Open a new Word document.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Columns" drop-down menu and select "Two."
  4. Type your directions in the left column and your script in the right column.
  5. To ensure that the columns function independently, you'll need to insert section breaks between each page. To do this, click on the "Page Layout" tab again and click on "Breaks" in the "Page Setup" section.
  6. Select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks."
  7. Repeat steps 4-6 for each page of your script.

By inserting section breaks between each page, you're essentially creating a new section for each page. This allows the columns to function independently of each other, so an editor can make changes to either column without affecting the other.

Once you've finished your script, you can save it as one document by clicking on "File" in the top left corner of the screen and selecting "Save As." Give your document a name and choose a location to save it. Your two-column script will be saved as one document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
poetrydaze poetrydaze is offline

Thanks CyberTaz. I'm afraid I'm so new to this that I haven't a clue what
you mean.

Could you walk me through it? What is the step by step to make this happen?
Thanks so much. Poetrydaze
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What version of Word?

If it's word 2007, from the Insert tab of the Ribbon, click on the Table
icon and a grid will appear on which you can drag to select as many columns
and rows as you want, though one row will be enough for the moment. If you
had selected two columns by one row, when you release the mouse key, a one
row, two column table will be inserted into the document.

In earlier versions, I think that there is a similar facility on the Tables
menu.

After inserting the table, click inside the first cell and press Ctrl+Alt+u
and the borders of the table will disappear (though for now, you might want
to leave them there so that you can see where you are, or alternatively,
after removing the borders, you can select an option in the Word 2007 Table
Tools/Layout or earlier versions Tables menu to show the grid lines)

Type your text in the appropriate columns.

To add a new row, with the selection in the second column, press the tab
key. If you want to insert a tab, hold down the Ctrl key and press the tab
key.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"poetrydaze" wrote in message

Thanks CyberTaz. I'm afraid I'm so new to this that I haven't a clue what
you mean.

Could you walk me through it? What is the step by step to make this
happen?
Thanks so much. Poetrydaze

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
poetrydaze poetrydaze is offline

Thanks Doug. Between you guys I think I have my answer and I'm so grateful.
I have a mac and currently use Pages-- but it won't do this. Believe me,
I've spent plenty of time in the forums on the Apple site figuring that out.

So I'm going to go out today and buy the home/ student version of Office for
mac. I'm guessing it will work as you indicate. Do you know? Thank you so
much.

poetrydaze

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well, I'm not looking to bankrupt MS :-) but Pages definitely will allow you
to create Tables. See Pages Help on the topic: Working with Tables. I don't
know exactly how much latitude you have with the formatting as I really
don't *use* Pages, but I'd definitely check it out before investing in Mac
Office unless you have other reasons to do so.

Office:Mac 2008 will definitely do as Doug suggested but the Mac version of
Office doesn't employ the Ribbon UI. It uses the "classic" UI of menus &
toolbars you're already familiar with ‹ similar to what you have in Pages &
most other Mac & PC apps other than 2007.

You should find all the info you need in Word Help on tables but if you need
any specific questions you can post to the microsoft.public.mac.office.word
newsgroup which is also available via Mactopia's Forums:

http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/

If you go on to use Pages & need assistance you can go through the Apple
Discussions Forums on iWork by way of:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Good Luck |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/16/09 5:11 PM, in article
, "poetrydaze"

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
poetrydaze poetrydaze is offline

Thank you both so very much. I really appreciate all your help!

poetrydaze

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Well, I'm not looking to bankrupt MS :-) but Pages definitely will allow you
to create Tables. See Pages Help on the topic: Working with Tables. I don't
know exactly how much latitude you have with the formatting as I really
don't *use* Pages, but I'd definitely check it out before investing in Mac
Office unless you have other reasons to do so.

Office:Mac 2008 will definitely do as Doug suggested but the Mac version of
Office doesn't employ the Ribbon UI. It uses the "classic" UI of menus &
toolbars you're already familiar with €¹ similar to what you have in Pages &