Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Spud098 Spud098 is offline

Default Cross reference between documents

I need to insert cross references in one document that refer to automatic
paragraph numbers in other documents. Help, I am going bald very quickly !!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Insert Hyperlink (Ctrl+K), browse to the document you wish to link to, select
it but don't double click. Click on Bookmark, you should now see the
Bookmarks that have been setup in that document. Select the Bookmark, Ok. Job
done.
I don't think you can link to a Heading or Numbered Item (as in the usual
Cross-reference) but the bookmarks work well.
This is for 2003 and prior, maybe be different in 2007.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Spud098" wrote:

I need to insert cross references in one document that refer to automatic
paragraph numbers in other documents. Help, I am going bald very quickly !!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Spud,

Here's one way:
1. In your source document:
.. insert a cross-reference to your numbered paragraph
.. bookmark the cross-reference; and
.. format the cross-reference as hidden (this is so that it doesn't print unless you set Word's options to print hidden text).
2. In your target document:
.. insert an INCLUDETEXT field pointing to the bookmark in your source document
.. format the imported text as not hidden.

You can create the INCLUDETEXT field via Insert|Field, or you could create it manually by:
.. pressing Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces, which look like '{ }'
.. filling the space between the field braces with INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\Home\\Documents\\Source.doc" "BkMrk"
(ie '{INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Users\\Home\\Documents\\Source.doc" "BkMrk"}')
where "C:\\Users\\Home\\Documents\\Source.doc" is the filename and path to your source document and "BkMrk" is the name of your
bookmark there. Note the double back-slashes to define the path - you could use single forward slashes instead.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]