Candace

Default Subtract formula

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)", but how
do I subtract one field from another?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Subtract formula

To subtract one field from another in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
  1. Select the cell where you want to display the result of the subtraction.
  2. Type the formula in the cell, using the following syntax: "=A1-B1", where A1 and B1 are the cells you want to subtract.
  3. Press Enter to calculate the result.

For example, if you want to subtract the value in cell B1 from the value in cell A1, you would type "=A1-B1" in the cell where you want to display the result.

You can also use cell references instead of actual values in the formula. For example, if you want to subtract the values in cells C1 and D1, you would type "=C1-D1" in the cell where you want to display the result.

That's it! The result of the subtraction will be displayed in the cell you selected.
__________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)",
but how do I subtract one field from another?

You can use SUM to add the negative of the second number:

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}

Or, without SUM:

{=(C23-C24)}

!!!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Candace

I'm receiving syntax errors when I try to use the formula {=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}
What could I be doing wrong? Is there a microsoft article I can refer to for
more information on subtracting in Word tables?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)",
but how do I subtract one field from another?

You can use SUM to add the negative of the second number:

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}

Or, without SUM:

{=(C23-C24)}

!!!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

Candace

Never-mind. It worked fine when I used your {=(C23-C24)} suggestion, but
without the braces. Thanks so much!!!

"Candace" wrote:

I'm receiving syntax errors when I try to use the formula {=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}
What could I be doing wrong? Is there a microsoft article I can refer to for
more information on subtracting in Word tables?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)",
but how do I subtract one field from another?

You can use SUM to add the negative of the second number:

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}

Or, without SUM:

{=(C23-C24)}

!!!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

When you enter a formula in the Table | Formula dialog, you don't need the
braces. Jean-Guy was quoting the field as a field, assuming you would be
constructing it by hand (using Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters, which
are represented by the braces).

"Candace" wrote:

I'm receiving syntax errors when I try to use the formula

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}
What could I be doing wrong? Is there a microsoft article I can refer to

for
more information on subtracting in Word tables?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)",
but how do I subtract one field from another?

You can use SUM to add the negative of the second number:

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}

Or, without SUM:

{=(C23-C24)}

!!!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

Jean-Guy Marcil

Suzanne S. Barnhill was telling us:
Suzanne S. Barnhill nous racontait que :

When you enter a formula in the Table | Formula dialog, you don't
need the braces. Jean-Guy was quoting the field as a field, assuming
you would be constructing it by hand (using Ctrl+F9 to insert the
field delimiters, which are represented by the braces).

My bad!

I should have been more explicit!

Thanks.

--