Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snow White Snow White is offline

Default Word Mail Merge - Go back to first record

Hi

I am merging information from a form with subform into word 2007. I am aware
of the directory source but due to very finick formatting requirements i
prefer using the next record syntax to get information from all the rows in
the order detail subform.

However at the end of the document i want to fetch the total which comes
from the orders form. If i insert the total field i get no value which is
understandable because the next record takes the cursor to the field with no
value in the totals. Can i somehow tell word to go back to the first record
and fetch the totals value from there.

I would really appreciate some advice/ work around.

Kind Regards
Snow White
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is not really designed to do this type of merge, and in any case cannot
go backwards through the data set. What you *may* be able to do is store the
field content from the first record and use it later eg

{ IF{ Mergeseq } = 1 { Set A { MERGEFIELD Total} } }

do your stuff

{REF A}

Snow White wrote:
Hi

I am merging information from a form with subform into word 2007. I
am aware of the directory source but due to very finick formatting
requirements i prefer using the next record syntax to get information
from all the rows in the order detail subform.

However at the end of the document i want to fetch the total which
comes from the orders form. If i insert the total field i get no
value which is understandable because the next record takes the
cursor to the field with no value in the totals. Can i somehow tell
word to go back to the first record and fetch the totals value from
there.

I would really appreciate some advice/ work around.

Kind Regards
Snow White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snow White Snow White is offline

Thank you heaps Graham for this.

May i please also ask you another question - is it possible to add
incremental values in word just like you can in access starting at 1.

Regards
Snow White

Snow White wrote:
Hi

I am merging information from a form with subform into word 2007. I
am aware of the directory source but due to very finick formatting
requirements i prefer using the next record syntax to get information
from all the rows in the order detail subform.

However at the end of the document i want to fetch the total which
comes from the orders form. If i insert the total field i get no
value which is understandable because the next record takes the
cursor to the field with no value in the totals. Can i somehow tell
word to go back to the first record and fetch the totals value from
there.

I would really appreciate some advice/ work around.

Kind Regards
Snow White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snow White Snow White is offline

Hi Graham

Apologies for not being very precise previously but here it is -

I am merging information from order and order products into word. The order
information is like a header and all the order product information is merged
into a table under that header.

In the table i also want to have a column called item number which is
numbered starting from 1 through to the number of products merged. For
example for 6 products it should be 1,2,3,4,5,6 and if 4 products are merged
it should be 1,2,3,4.

How do i go about this? Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Regards
Ridhima

Snow White wrote:
Hi

I am merging information from a form with subform into word 2007. I
am aware of the directory source but due to very finick formatting
requirements i prefer using the next record syntax to get
information from all the rows in the order detail subform.

However at the end of the document i want to fetch the total which
comes from the orders form. If i insert the total field i get no
value which is understandable because the next record takes the
cursor to the field with no value in the totals. Can i somehow tell
word to go back to the first record and fetch the totals value from
there.

I would really appreciate some advice/ work around.

Kind Regards
Snow White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snow White Snow White is offline

I have tried it and it shows the value on first record and second record as 1
and then for the 3rd record as 2 and so on. Not sure why the value on second
record comes as 1 too?

any ideas please?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

How about a Mergeseq field?