Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default Custom Toolbars/Menus Don't Stay Put

I have tried to find someone to answer this question for years and have still
not found anyone who can solve this problem. I have created custom menus in
2003 Word. These menus a

1. Shortcuts
2. Forms
3. DB

The first menu has different macros that perform certain functions on my
documents.
The second menu contains macros that open forms/documents.
The third menu contains macros that open certain databases.

For no apparent reason, when I open Word, all my menus are completely
changed. The shortcuts are on the forms menu, DB on the shortcuts menu, etc.
That is, if they are there at all.

I have saved numerous Normal2.dots on a cd and also on my desktop, but when
i open them, they default to the current Normal.dot which is the one that has
none of my menus.

This happens over and over and over again. I have tried to run a system
restore to an earlier time, but it doesn't fix it. Basically, I have to
rebuild everything from scratch all over again (and again and again and
again). Many times, my macros are completely gone.

Can anyone give me a reason for this and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should save the template that contains your toolbars and the associated
macros in the Word\Startup folder so that it is treated as an Add-In.

By default, the Word Startup folder is located a C:\Documents and
Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP