Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fbriol fbriol is offline

Default How to convert Math type equation 5 to word 2007 equation

hello,

I am a (french, sorry for my poor english) professor of mathematics. I have
hundreds of Word 2003 files with equations. How to convert automatically them
into Word 2007 equations Word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

I have been trying to do this here, but I can't seem to find a way to
convert an equation editor object into a Word 2007 equation.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"fbriol" wrote in message
:

hello,

I am a (french, sorry for my poor english) professor of mathematics. I have
hundreds of Word 2003 files with equations. How to convert automatically them
into Word 2007 equations Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

This is pure speculation, because I have neither the tools nor the
time to experiment, but you may want to follow it further:

If you indeed have MathType and not just the equation editor that
comes with Word, then it has the ability to export equations in
several flavors of TeX, including LaTeX.

Word 2007 has an "inline" text-based format for equations. This format
is not exactly like TeX, but it might be possible to create a
translator program from one to the other. Once the expressions have
been made recognizable to Word 2007, it can automatically convert the
"inline" format to display format.

I don't know whether anyone, inside or outside Microsoft, has
attempted a LaTeX-to-Word converter program. I think it would have
some commercial potential if it was thorough and reliable.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:57:02 -0700, fbriol
wrote:

hello,

I am a (french, sorry for my poor english) professor of mathematics. I have
hundreds of Word 2003 files with equations. How to convert automatically them
into Word 2007 equations Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 10-Sep-2006, Jay Freedman wrote:

I don't know whether anyone, inside or outside Microsoft, has
attempted a LaTeX-to-Word converter program. I think it would
have some commercial potential if it was thorough and reliable.

There is a product named TeX2Word, available on the web at

http://www.tex2word.com/.

TeX2Word isn't our product, but it does require MathType 4+. It
converts either a TeX or a LaTeX document into a Word document with
MathType equations. Evaluation versions of both TeX2Word and MathType
are available (T2W from the link above, MT from the link below).

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Bob Mathews wrote:
On 10-Sep-2006, Jay Freedman wrote:

I don't know whether anyone, inside or outside Microsoft, has
attempted a LaTeX-to-Word converter program. I think it would
have some commercial potential if it was thorough and reliable.

There is a product named TeX2Word, available on the web at

http://www.tex2word.com/.

TeX2Word isn't our product, but it does require MathType 4+. It
converts either a TeX or a LaTeX document into a Word document with
MathType equations. Evaluation versions of both TeX2Word and MathType
are available (T2W from the link above, MT from the link below).

Thanks, Bob, but the target of the LaTeX-to-Word conversion I was referring
to was the inline format of Word 2007 equations. Since that's a completely
new format, I wouldn't expect any existing product to handle it.

Can you tell us anything yet about how MathType will cope with Word 2007?
Probably the whole issue is moot and the OP should just keep using MathType.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 11-Sep-2006, Jay Freedman wrote:

Can you tell us anything yet about how MathType will cope with
Word 2007? Probably the whole issue is moot and the OP should
just keep using MathType.

That's right; everyone should use MathType. ;-)

Seriously Jay, to answer your question, our Equation Editor still
ships with Office 2007 (the same one that shipped with Office 2003).
There isn't a conversion that I know of from Equation Editor or
MathType equations to the new Office 2007 format (or vice versa). Your
hunch is therefore correct -- play it safe and stick with Equation
Editor or MathType, especially if you have legacy documents containing
these equation formats, or if you need to collaborate with colleagues
who use a pre-Office 2007 version of Word.
Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Bob Mathews wrote:
On 11-Sep-2006, Jay Freedman wrote:

Can you tell us anything yet about how MathType will cope with
Word 2007? Probably the whole issue is moot and the OP should
just keep using MathType.

That's right; everyone should use MathType. ;-)

Seriously Jay, to answer your question, our Equation Editor still
ships with Office 2007 (the same one that shipped with Office 2003).
There isn't a conversion that I know of from Equation Editor or
MathType equations to the new Office 2007 format (or vice versa). Your
hunch is therefore correct -- play it safe and stick with Equation
Editor or MathType, especially if you have legacy documents containing
these equation formats, or if you need to collaborate with colleagues
who use a pre-Office 2007 version of Word.

Thanks, Bob.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman