Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L Bonelli L Bonelli is offline

Default Problem w/ PDF icon not appearing when embedded in Word document

Hi there,
Several of my coworkers and I are experiencing the same problem when we
embed a PDF file into a Word document - the PDF icon does not display. My
company is still in the dark ages with Word 2000, so I don't know if the
problem is related to that.
Basically, I will Insert ObjectCreate from fileCheck Display as Icon
Browse and select the PDF icon, but the icon doesn't appear once it's
embedded in the document. The PDF name will appear and I can still double
click on that to open the document, but the Icon doesn't appear so other
readers don't realize that it's a document link.

I can insert other types of files such as Word and Excel documents and those
icons will appear within my Word docs and I can insert PDF files into my
Excel docs and the icon will appear, so the problem seems to be limited to
inserting a PDF file into a word document. Has anyone else experienced this
problem and do you know how to fix it? Thank you!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Try going to Help - About Microsoft Office Word - Disabled Items. Then select
any items that look like they relate to Adobe or PDF Maker (Or whatever your
PDF utility is). Select those items and click the Enable button.

You might need to restart your computer for the change to take effect, but I
can't remember for sure. You might also need to re-enable the PDFMaker
toolbar in Word.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"L Bonelli" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
L Bonelli L Bonelli is offline

Default Problem w/ PDF icon not appearing when embedded in Word docume

Thanks, Fred. I tried your suggestion, but in Word 2000, I don't have the
option to view disabled items from the Help menu. I've researched this issue
on the web and it seems like other people have had the same problem, but
nobody seems to have a solution. =(
Thanks again.
Laura

"L Bonelli" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What is the current default application for PDF files in Windows? There were
some limitations before Acrobat/Reader versions 7 that *may* be the reason
for your problems.

L Bonelli wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

The Icon that is associated with a pdf file is too large (too detailed).

I had to go and download a smaller resolution icon. Then when you embed the
pdf file you also have to browse for the low resolution icon.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Download low resolution pdf icons here.......

http://icone.goldenweb.it/index_file...t/default.html

Then save it somewhere that is easy to remember.

Open Word.....Insert Object/create from file........select the
file........tick Display as Icon.........change Icon......now browse to the
low resolution icon and viola.

Just send money ......

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

I just tried that website........

There's an icon to download each file.

It downloads it as xxx.ico.html

You need to delete the html part of the filename leaving it as xxx.ico

I've no idea why they stuck the html part on the end.

Your existing adobe icons are too high resolution for Word 2000. You could
go into C:Program_Files/Adobe and then over-write them but I prefer to leave
the originals and then search for my low resolution ones.

Michael