Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosemary Rosemary is offline

Default Copying Styles

Hi,

Our office is on a network with a Document Management system. We have
Windows XP and Word 2003.

Is there a way to copy styles from one existing document to another existing
document without using the Styles Organizer? (It's a long story as to why
I'm asking, so I won't include that here!).

For example, I tried Insert - File, and inserted the document, but the
inserted doc took on the styles of the current doc (which I expected).

So, as far as I know, the Styles Organizer is the only way to copy styles
from one existing document into another existing document?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

One option - though perhaps not the most elegant - Open the doc with the
styles, copy content formatted with the style & paste into the other doc.
You'll need to replace/delete the pasted content, but the style will be
retained.

Regards|:)

Bob Jones
MVP Office:Mac

"Rosemary" wrote:

Hi,

Our office is on a network with a Document Management system. We have
Windows XP and Word 2003.

Is there a way to copy styles from one existing document to another existing
document without using the Styles Organizer? (It's a long story as to why
I'm asking, so I won't include that here!).

For example, I tried Insert - File, and inserted the document, but the
inserted doc took on the styles of the current doc (which I expected).

So, as far as I know, the Styles Organizer is the only way to copy styles
from one existing document into another existing document?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosemary Rosemary is offline

Hi - thanks for your response.

I didn't mention in my last post, but we had tried a copy/paste first. The
text did come in with styles intact, but those styles then took on the
attributes of the document we pasted it into.

E.g., Heading 1 in the old doc was different from Heading 1 in the new doc
.... the pasted text took on the attributes of the Heading 1 in the new doc.

Is it possible I did something wrong? I think the only keystrokes I
executed were CTRL + X and CTRL + V.

Thanks!

"Rosemary" wrote:

Hi,

Our office is on a network with a Document Management system. We have
Windows XP and Word 2003.

Is there a way to copy styles from one existing document to another existing
document without using the Styles Organizer? (It's a long story as to why
I'm asking, so I won't include that here!).

For example, I tried Insert - File, and inserted the document, but the
inserted doc took on the styles of the current doc (which I expected).

So, as far as I know, the Styles Organizer is the only way to copy styles
from one existing document into another existing document?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Your problem is that the styles have the same name in each of the two files.

Rename one or the other before doing the copy/paste... A file can only have
*one* file by any given name & Word is geared to retain the version already
in the target doc.

Regards|:)
Bob Jone
MVP Office:Mac