swmmng

Default Freeze upon startup; corrupt Normal.dot file

I have read the MVPS page about Word starting up slow and things, but it
didn't quite help. When I renamed the Normal.dot file to Normal.old, Word
started up licket-split. However, when I closed it and tried again, it was
back to its old behavior, with a new Normal.dot file. Why is Word broken?
Even after a reinstall?!
Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Sounds like you have an addin that is getting in the way. Or maybe too
many TEMP files?

Check out these two articles and see if this helps.

Add-ins...One of Word's Most Common Problems

Maintaining Your Computer
http://www.mousetrax.com/maintain.html

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:53:01 -0800, ?B?c3dtbW5n?=
wrote:

I have read the MVPS page about Word starting up slow and things, but it
didn't quite help. When I renamed the Normal.dot file to Normal.old, Word
started up licket-split. However, when I closed it and tried again, it was
back to its old behavior, with a new Normal.dot file. Why is Word broken?
Even after a reinstall?!

Graham Mayor

Re-installing rarely does anything useful. It is the associated files and
applications that are the problem.
I don't know which web pages you referred to, but the ones that you want are
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
Also if running Norton AV, uncheck its Office plug-in.