trying to streamline

Default How do I access a created template from letter wizard

I have created a letter template in Word 2003 and it is saved in the template
directory. I want to access this template from the "letter wizard" so I can
insert a contact into the address line. When I choose a page style from the
letter wizard dialoge box, I cannot find the template. How can access this
template from letter wizard? If I cannot access this template, then how can
insert a contact into the address line from this template without letter
wizard?
garfield-n-odie

Close Word. In the Templates directory, create a subdirectory named
"Letters & Faxes". Put your letter template in that subdirectory.
Start Word. Your template should now appear with the Microsoft
templates on the "Letters & Faxes" tab.

trying to streamline wrote:

I have created a letter template in Word 2003 and it is saved in the template
directory. I want to access this template from the "letter wizard" so I can
insert a contact into the address line. When I choose a page style from the
letter wizard dialoge box, I cannot find the template. How can access this
template from letter wizard? If I cannot access this template, then how can
insert a contact into the address line from this template without letter
wizard?

Charles Kenyon

The template's name needs to contain the letters "letter."

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"trying to streamline" trying to
wrote in message ...
I have created a letter template in Word 2003 and it is saved in the
template
directory. I want to access this template from the "letter wizard" so I
can
insert a contact into the address line. When I choose a page style from
the
letter wizard dialoge box, I cannot find the template. How can access this
template from letter wizard? If I cannot access this template, then how
can
insert a contact into the address line from this template without letter
wizard?

Charles Kenyon

Unless the template's name contain's "letter" it won't show up as a wizard
option even if in the Letters and Templates folder. If it does contain those
characters, it will show up even if in a different sub folder of the User
Templates or Workgroup Templates folder.
--

trying to streamline wrote:

I have created a letter template in Word 2003 and it is saved in the
template directory. I want to access this template from the "letter
wizard" so I can insert a contact into the address line. When I choose a
page style from the letter wizard dialoge box, I cannot find the
template. How can access this template from letter wizard? If I cannot
access this template, then how can insert a contact into the address line
from this template without letter wizard?

Actually, the Letter Wizard will pick up any template that has "letter" in
the name (including "letterhead"). But what it does to your carefully
crafted template is not necessarily something you want to experience. You'd
do better to write your own UserForm to collect the data to insert in the
template.

trying to streamline wrote:

I have created a letter template in Word 2003 and it is saved in the

template
directory. I want to access this template from the "letter wizard" so I

can
insert a contact into the address line. When I choose a page style from

the
letter wizard dialoge box, I cannot find the template. How can access

this
template from letter wizard? If I cannot access this template, then how

can
insert a contact into the address line from this template without letter
wizard?

garfield-n-odie

Ahhh... I misunderstood the question. I didn't see the "letter wizard"
part. I thought the OP was asking how to get his/her template to appear
on the "Letters & Faxes" tab under General Templates.