Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FateWineRoses FateWineRoses is offline

Default How do I put a clickable alpha index in the header/footer?

Putting together a Word address book of customers and would like to have a
header/footer that is an alpha clickable index.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Fate

FateWineRoses wrote:
Putting together a Word address book of customers and would like to have a
header/footer that is an alpha clickable index.

dictionary-style headers and footers can be created with STYLEREF
fields. Is that what you like? Can you elaborate more what exactly you
want to accomplish?

I'm afraid nothing in the header/footer will be clickable unless you
double-click on the h/f first to switch into that layer ...

If all you are looking for is something like a TOC (he a list of all
letters) to click and bring you to the first entry in a given letter,
then you can setup headings with only the letters (could be
auto-numbered with A, B, ... or not).

All in all, maybe Access would be a better tool for that.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RmF0ZVdpbmVSb3Nlcw==?=,

Putting together a Word address book of customers and would like to have a
header/footer that is an alpha clickable index.

Can you describe in more detail what you have in mind, and what version of
Word is targeted? From the little you tell us, I don't think Word's
technology supports what you want. But we might be able to make some
suggestions (that will probably involve macro solutions) if we understand
exactly what functionality you're looking for.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FateWineRoses FateWineRoses is offline

Thanks for your response Robert. I was originally going to create something
in Excel with a search feature; but the boss decided on a format that is just
not feasible for Excel. I would have preferred to use Access, there's even a
template that would have worked perfectly and just made the job a simple data
entry task. Unfortunately the company doesn't supply our group with Access;
and the personnel here (other than myself) are base beginners in their
understanding of Office as a whole.

~sigh~

So, I really have to use Word unfortunately.

What the project is supposed to accomplish is to consolidate three
handwritten phone books filled with customer contacts and fleshed out with
addresses, fax nos., etc that are not included right now. BUT as an order
taker who needs to access contact information *quickly* I need something
(besides the search function) that is very "click & go" if you know what I
mean.

While I was doing research for Excel formulas I came across something that I
hadn't been able to find again. I think it was the STYLEREF you mentioned.
I'm wondering why I thought it was clickable though? Hmmm.

Well, I want something that would be on all the pages rather than just on
the first page. I was thinking that the A-Z clickable index across the top
or bottom of the page would work perfectly. But if it's not a clickable
index it wouldn't work.

In the end if all I can do is a clickable TOC I guess that's what I'll end
up doing.

Thanks again for your help!

Fate

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

dictionary-style headers and footers can be created with STYLEREF
fields. Is that what you like? Can you elaborate more what exactly you
want to accomplish?

I'm afraid nothing in the header/footer will be clickable unless you
double-click on the h/f first to switch into that layer ...

If all you are looking for is something like a TOC (he a list of all
letters) to click and bring you to the first entry in a given letter,
then you can setup headings with only the letters (could be
auto-numbered with A, B, ... or not).

All in all, maybe Access would be a better tool for that.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FateWineRoses wrote:
[..]
So, I really have to use Word unfortunately.

If your boss is willing to pay for all the time it will take you to do
it right in Word, well ...

What the project is supposed to accomplish is to consolidate three
handwritten phone books filled with customer contacts and fleshed out with
addresses, fax nos., etc that are not included right now. BUT as an order
taker who needs to access contact information *quickly* I need something
(besides the search function) that is very "click & go" if you know what I
mean.

This really is a DB application. Sure, you _can_ do it in Word, but you
will have to programm all the stuff for yourself. It's not something I
would want to (or could!) do. Maybe Cindy has some good ideas from what
you mentioned here.

While I was doing research for Excel formulas I came across something that I
hadn't been able to find again. I think it was the STYLEREF you mentioned.
I'm wondering why I thought it was clickable though? Hmmm.

I don't know over the top of my head whether STYLEREF itself can be
hyplinked (then it's clickable), the problem is the header: nothing in
there is clickable to the user unless he switches to the header first. :-(

Well, I want something that would be on all the pages rather than just on
the first page. I was thinking that the A-Z clickable index across the top
or bottom of the page would work perfectly. But if it's not a clickable
index it wouldn't work.

In the end if all I can do is a clickable TOC I guess that's what I'll end
up doing.

You can setup 26 heading 1 styles (one for each letter) and provide a
"BACK" button in each chapter which leads back to the TOC, yeah, that
might be possible. And you need to think about what styles your users
are going to use for an entry.

Good luck!!
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FateWineRoses FateWineRoses is offline

Cindy,

If you could take a look at my response to Robert and see if you have a
solution? I'm sure I could wiggle a solution with a bit of time; but I sure
would appreciate an easier solution if you have one. Luckily I have a bit of
time since they are trying to get me a newer customer list, which delays the
data entry portion of the job. I'm hoping to have a solution in place by the
time I need to get in deep with the data entry.

Another question pops to mind as I type this: would it be best to compile
the document in a mail merge format for ease of entry and change? Or am I
fooling myself with the ease of change, addition and subtraction to the list
in mail merge format? In the end the document will be handed out in print
AND eletronically.

Thanks!

Fate
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RmF0ZVdpbmVSb3Nlcw==?=,

You might consider a Toolbar...

[...]

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FateWineRoses FateWineRoses is offline

A "Toolbar" in what sense?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

You might consider a Toolbar...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RmF0ZVdpbmVSb3Nlcw==?=,

A "Toolbar" in what sense?

Create a toolbar and save it in this document (so it's only available in this
document). Put 26 buttons on it, labelled A through Z, each attached to a
single macro. This macro tests the caption of the button that was clicked
(CommandBars.ActionControl.Caption). Based on that, it goes to the correct
location.

Exactly how to determine the correct location depends on how you're structured
the document. You could bookmark each alphabet change, then just select that
bookmark range. Or you could do a "Find" to find the letter of the alphabet
formatted with a particular style (sorta like a StyleRef).

Putting together a Word address book of customers and would like to have a
header/footer that is an alpha clickable index.

Well, I want something that would be on all the pages rather than just on
the first page. I was thinking that the A-Z clickable index across the top
or bottom of the page would work perfectly. But if it's not a clickable
index it wouldn't work.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?RmF0ZVdpbmVSb3Nlcw==?=,

If you could take a look at my response to Robert and see if you have a
solution?

Put my "toolbar" idea into more concrete terms in a reply in that sub-thread
:-)

Another question pops to mind as I type this: would it be best to compile
the document in a mail merge format for ease of entry and change? Or am I
fooling myself with the ease of change, addition and subtraction to the list
in mail merge format? In the end the document will be handed out in print
AND eletronically.

Mmmmm. 12 of one and a dozen of the other... Who's going to be doing the
updating in these separate "books" that you need to pull together? (IOW if you
couldn't use Excel or Access or something similar for the solution, why could
you use them for the maintenance?). Can you expand a bit on what's going
through your poor smoking brain :-)?