Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnpinter johnpinter is offline

Default Problem with saving Word Templates

Our company has many templates that have been created over time.

I have "some" templates that behave as follows:
1. Opened through Word using File-Open, or through a link in a menu item
2. Fields filled in as per normal
3. Selecting File-Save As... brings up the dialog box with the "Save as
Type" filled in with "Word Document (*.doc)"

I have "other" templates that behave as follows:
1. Opened through Word using File-Open, or through a link in a menu item
2. Fields filled in as per normal
3. Selecting File-Save As... brings up the dialog box with the "Save as
Type" filled in with "the "Save as Type" filled in with "Document Template
(*.dot)"

An interesting point is that when you open these "other" templates from
Windows Explorer they seem to behave like the "some" templates ie. the "Save
as Type" filled in with "Word Document (*.doc)"

What I would like to do is change the options of these "other" templates so
that when you select File-Save As... the "Save as Type" will be filled in
with "Document Document (*.doc)" instead of "Document Template (*.dot)" for
all users that use these templates.

I have these templates stored on a Network share with all machines having
the Workgroup Template location pointing to that template directory.

I have also checked the Tools-Options-Save tab to make sure of the Default
Save format and it is set to "Word Document (*.doc)"

I know that you can open the file as a document through the
File-New..-Templates-On my Computer dialog box by checking the "Create
New-Document" button but this is still, somewhat, long winded for our users.
I would like them to use the web menu I have created for them to launch
these templates as I am using Group Policy to push this menu out - along with
updates to the menu.

Can anybody out there help out? I have been searching the web for 3 days
straight with no luck.

Any help much appreciated and thank you in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using File | Open, then these are not "templates"; you're using
them as documents. With a true template, you use File | New. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

1. The ones that you are able to save as documents (*.doc files) *are*
documents. Save them as templates instead and use File | New to base new
documents on them.

2. The ones that insist on being saved as templates (*.dot files) *are*
templates and shouldn't be opened except for editing, not to create new
documents. Use File | New.

"johnpinter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnpinter johnpinter is offline

Thanks for that quick response. I saved the template that was saving
originally as a *.dot to a *.doc file and renamed it to a *.dot and that's
why the "some" templates saved as *.doc. They were created as a doc file and
merely renamed to a dot.

Thanks for the advice

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
johnpinter johnpinter is offline

Another question is whether I can create a toolbar button that is a direct
link to the "On my computer..." link on the templates menu when you select
File-New... ie, a button that launches that dialog box?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi John

Word is smater than this. Merely re-naming a file won't convince Word that a
document is a template or vice versa. They actually have different
underlying file structures. For example, a template can contain AutoTexts; a
document cannot. To create a template you must, at some point in the
process, do File Save As and save as a template.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using File | Open, then these are not "templates"; you're
using
them as documents. With a true template, you use File | New. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

1. The ones that you are able to save as documents (*.doc files) *are*
documents. Save them as templates instead and use File | New to base new
documents on them.

2. The ones that insist on being saved as templates (*.dot files) *are*
templates and shouldn't be opened except for editing, not to create new
documents. Use File | New.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi johnpinter

In versions past, the File New command opened the File New dialog box.
In Word 2002 and Word 2003, Microsoft interpolated an extra step.

You can restore the old File New command so that it displays the dialog
box. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm