Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jfox jfox is offline

Default formatting headers

Hi, when I add new subsection headings to a already written formatted report
how do I get Word to recognize and renumber according to the section
headings? Eg. Get 5.0 Heading, 5.1 subheading, paragraph, 5.2 subheading,
paragraph instead of 5.0 heading, 1.5 subheading, paragraph, 1.6 subheading,
paragraph.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

As you say this document has already been formatted, hopefully that also
means that someone has setup the styles for "Headings" as well as "Header".
If so, you need to assign the same style for the Heading 2 level to get the
5.1 numbering. If you don't know the style that has been formatted, go to a
Heading level 2 and see in the Style pane, the style that is used there, use
the same style on your new Headings.

For further instructions see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. Then see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.