Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mialan Mialan is offline

Default How do I change the style of the divider line for a footnote

How can I view the style formating of the footnote so I can change the
position of the divider line that appears between the footnote and the body
text.
I can change the style of the actual footnote but not the line.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word?

Assuming Word 2003, go into Normal view. Choose View - Footnotes. In the
Footnote pane, set the dropdown (to the left of the Close button) to
Footnote separator. You can now have your way with the separator.

If Word 2007, you can do the same thing, but put the document into Draft
mode (it's the new Normal), and click Show Notes in the References tab.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Mialan" wrote in message
How can I view the style formating of the footnote so I can change the
position of the divider line that appears between the footnote and the
body
text.
I can change the style of the actual footnote but not the line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that "having your way" with the separator is limited to (a) deleting
it, (b) extending it by copying it and pasting it after itself, (c) adding
(or decreasing) space above or below it, or (d) replacing it with a
separator of your own devising. The separator itself is an odd sort of
drawing object that can't be directly edited or changed in any way.

"Mialan" wrote in message
How can I view the style formating of the footnote so I can change the
position of the divider line that appears between the footnote and the
body
text.
I can change the style of the actual footnote but not the line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, there are some additional things you can do with the default
separator. The default separator is treated as a character and responds to
character formatting. For example, you can select it and press Ctrl+[ or ]
(point size) to make it larger or smaller. You can change its color using
font formatting. It also can be changed by applying different typefaces,
which can make the line fatter at any given point size.

You can also delete it, and use _ or - characters, instead. Or, you can use
Border formatting to devise a line of any length. I don't believe you can
use a drawing object in the Footnote Separator pane, though -- not even one
that's "In line with text". I can paste one in there using trickery, but
I've never been able to get it to display.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Note that "having your way" with the separator is limited to (a) deleting
it, (b) extending it by copying it and pasting it after itself, (c) adding
(or decreasing) space above or below it, or (d) replacing it with a
separator of your own devising. The separator itself is an odd sort of
drawing object that can't be directly edited or changed in any way.

so
all may benefit.

"Mialan" wrote in message
How can I view the style formating of the footnote so I can change the
position of the divider line that appears between the footnote and the
body
text.
I can change the style of the actual footnote but not the line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I did give somewhat short shrift to the formatting options, but when
all is said and done, what you can do with the separators is still rather
limited. The worst thing about them is that their paragraph formatting is
based on Normal, so if you are so foolish as to apply a first-line indent to
Normal, then you get an indented separator (something it took me quite a
while to figure out, using letter templates from Word 2.0, which have
defined Normal in a foolish way).

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.