abkitsme

Default Word moving table to next page

I am modifying a document that has many pages and a table that runs through
all pages. In table properties the text wrapping is off so it will "break"
automatically at the end of a page. The issue I'm having is that when I have
to separate the table to create another heading Word keeps the first line
(which is formatted to continue at the top of all pages) on the page I want
the table to start but then moves the next line of the table to the next page
leaving half a page blank. I've used a continuous break and this seems to
work but is a lot of extra work to find the correct cell that will fill up
the page. Is there an easier more consistant way to keep the table on the
page I want it???

Thank you for your help

Well, for one thing you shouldn't have to insert a section break just to
split the table for a heading. And if you're truly inserting a "heading,"
this should be at a logical break, not a space/length-dependent one. Are you
perhaps talking about a page header? If so, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"abkitsme" wrote in message
news
I am modifying a document that has many pages and a table that runs

through
all pages. In table properties the text wrapping is off so it will "break"
automatically at the end of a page. The issue I'm having is that when I

have
to separate the table to create another heading Word keeps the first line
(which is formatted to continue at the top of all pages) on the page I

want
the table to start but then moves the next line of the table to the next

page
leaving half a page blank. I've used a continuous break and this seems to
work but is a lot of extra work to find the correct cell that will fill up
the page. Is there an easier more consistant way to keep the table on the
page I want it???

Thank you for your help

abkitsme

I never said that I was using a section break to split the table for a
heading. I said that I had used a section break to make the begining of the
table move back up to the page I wanted it started on (the page which has the
first row of the table). I am not talking about Page Headers as this document
does not have any of them (although it does have footers, but that's not part
of this discussion).

Agian, the issue is that, in the middle of a page after making a new heading
(the words not in the table but that come before the table starts, and after
the last table, and says what the table is), Word keeps the first line of the
table then moves the rest of the table to the next page. If I use a
continuous break in the table (a somewhat tedious process to find the correct
cell to do that in) it will make the portion of the table before that break
move back up to the starting page.

Thank you for your input.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, for one thing you shouldn't have to insert a section break just to
split the table for a heading. And if you're truly inserting a "heading,"
this should be at a logical break, not a space/length-dependent one. Are you
perhaps talking about a page header? If so, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"abkitsme" wrote in message
news
I am modifying a document that has many pages and a table that runs

through
all pages. In table properties the text wrapping is off so it will "break"
automatically at the end of a page. The issue I'm having is that when I

have
to separate the table to create another heading Word keeps the first line
(which is formatted to continue at the top of all pages) on the page I

want
the table to start but then moves the next line of the table to the next

page
leaving half a page blank. I've used a continuous break and this seems to
work but is a lot of extra work to find the correct cell that will fill up
the page. Is there an easier more consistant way to keep the table on the
page I want it???

Thank you for your help

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're doing, but if you're trying
to make text before and after a table stay with it, then perhaps you need to
use "Keep with next." You might see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...bleOn1Page.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm. But if your
table is wrapped, then different issues arise.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, for one thing you shouldn't have to insert a section break just to
split the table for a heading. And if you're truly inserting a

"heading,"
this should be at a logical break, not a space/length-dependent one. Are

you
perhaps talking about a page header? If so, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"abkitsme" wrote in message
news
[...]

abkitsme

I found out what I needed to do. I needed to highlight the whole table and go
to format paragraph and UNcheck "Keep with text". This brought the table back
up to where I wanted it.

Thanks for your help

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, for one thing you shouldn't have to insert a section break just to
split the table for a heading. And if you're truly inserting a

"heading,"
this should be at a logical break, not a space/length-dependent one. Are

you
perhaps talking about a page header? If so, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news I am modifying a document that has many pages and a table that runs