Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Spell check does not work in Word 2007

Recently purchased Office 2007.

I noticed the spell checker does not work. I typed a document and misspelled
every word and spell check did not try to correct one.

Went into word options and verified English (US) was primary language.

Any suggestions as what to do or is the just a 2007 bug??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?S2V2aW4=?=,

Recently purchased Office 2007.

I noticed the spell checker does not work. I typed a document and misspelled
every word and spell check did not try to correct one.

Went into word options and verified English (US) was primary language.

But are you sure the text you typed is formatted in that language? When you
click in a misspelled word, look down at the status bar and check the language.
(If you don't see the language, right-click the status bar and choose to add
that from the list.)

If it shows English, what happens if you press F7 to force a spell check?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee Dee is offline

Well, I did find out the status bar (where and what it is), but "Language" is
checked but no indication of what language is displayed.
--
-Dee

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?S2V2aW4=?=,

Recently purchased Office 2007.

I noticed the spell checker does not work. I typed a document and misspelled
every word and spell check did not try to correct one.

Went into word options and verified English (US) was primary language.

But are you sure the text you typed is formatted in that language? When you
click in a misspelled word, look down at the status bar and check the language.
(If you don't see the language, right-click the status bar and choose to add
that from the list.)

If it shows English, what happens if you press F7 to force a spell check?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RGVl?=,

Well, I did find out the status bar (where and what it is), but "Language" is
checked but no indication of what language is displayed.

Turn Language off and on, watching in the Status bar to see what
disappears/reappears. What do you see on that thing?

If you click it, the Set Language dialog box should appear. The language of the
selected text should be highlighted. What is it?

Are either of the two checkboxes at the bottom activated? Which one(s)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dee Dee is offline

Cindy,

Tried all your suggestions below before I actually read your last post.
Langauge is English and bottom two check boxes are indeed cleared (always
have been). This seems more insidious than just Word 2007 since I can't get
PowerPoint 2007 to spell check either. I think I may post on the Office
discussion group as well. Is there a bug in your opinion?
--
-Dee

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?RGVl?=,

Well, I did find out the status bar (where and what it is), but "Language" is
checked but no indication of what language is displayed.

Turn Language off and on, watching in the Status bar to see what
disappears/reappears. What do you see on that thing?

If you click it, the Set Language dialog box should appear. The language of the
selected text should be highlighted. What is it?

Are either of the two checkboxes at the bottom activated? Which one(s)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

You seem to have a second thread about this problem in office.misc.
Please don't multipost like this.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Outlook 2007 Performance Update: http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/13/105
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://ribboncustomizer.com
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Dee" wrote in message
:

Cindy,

Tried all your suggestions below before I actually read your last post.
Langauge is English and bottom two check boxes are indeed cleared (always
have been). This seems more insidious than just Word 2007 since I can't get
PowerPoint 2007 to spell check either. I think I may post on the Office
discussion group as well. Is there a bug in your opinion?
--
-Dee

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?RGVl?=,

Well, I did find out the status bar (where and what it is), but "Language" is
checked but no indication of what language is displayed.

Turn Language off and on, watching in the Status bar to see what
disappears/reappears. What do you see on that thing?

If you click it, the Set Language dialog box should appear. The language of the
selected text should be highlighted. What is it?

Are either of the two checkboxes at the bottom activated? Which one(s)?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kristin Kristin is offline

My colleague has the same problem. The words don't show with a squiggly red
line that they are misspelled, though they clearly are. Language is English.
We tried changing to French (where the squiggly lines do show up because the
words aren't in French) and then back to English. We force a respell and it
still doesn't catch them. The box to "Not check these words" is not checked.

Any ideas?

"Dee" wrote:

Cindy,

Tried all your suggestions below before I actually read your last post.
Langauge is English and bottom two check boxes are indeed cleared (always
have been). This seems more insidious than just Word 2007 since I can't get
PowerPoint 2007 to spell check either. I think I may post on the Office
discussion group as well. Is there a bug in your opinion?
--
-Dee

Hi ?B?RGVl?=,