Jeanne

Default Asking to save changes when I have made no changes

I have Windows XP, Word 2002.

If I pull up a document, just to look at it, not scroll down, just look,
when I ask it to close, Word asks me if I want to save changes, when I have
made no changes. I notice this happens on recent documents, rather than older
ones. Why does Word do this and how do I get it to stop.

Thanks, Jeanne
Jezebel

Several possibilities, most common being that the document contains a DATE
field, which updates to the current date when you open the document. So
opening the document DOES change it. And Word is asking, not unreasonably,
whether you want to save that change. Stop using DATE fields if you don't
want this (CREATEDATE is usually what is intended, in any case.)

"Jeanne" wrote in message
I have Windows XP, Word 2002.

If I pull up a document, just to look at it, not scroll down, just look,
when I ask it to close, Word asks me if I want to save changes, when I
have
made no changes. I notice this happens on recent documents, rather than
older
ones. Why does Word do this and how do I get it to stop.

Thanks, Jeanne

Jezebel

In that case, check for macros doing things behind the scene. There's no
magic involved: if you're getting that message, *something* is making a
change to the document. Apart from autoupdating fields, some possibilities
are --

1. Printing the document: updates the LastPrinted property.

2. A macro that queries the document properties. Even if it makes no change,
the act of querying flags the document as Unsaved.

3. A macro that explicitly marks the document as unsaved.