Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stickleback stickleback is offline

Default document map

I understand that document map has some annoying quirks that can make it a
pain to use.

Aside from having to delete the /u flag in the table of contents field, are
there any other risks from using the document map? Even with the odd
behaviour of grabbing one line captions or paragraphs, I still find it a very
useful (albeit imperfect) tool for navigating large documents. Are there any
alternatives to the document map (beside the obvious one of scrolling)?

Thanks for any insights, and thanks for the previous discussions on this
topic!

Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, the obvious alternative to the document map is Outline view.

However, if you can live with the fact that it applies outline levels to
paragraphs such as captions, document map should work just fine.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"stickleback" wrote in message
I understand that document map has some annoying quirks that can make it a
pain to use.

Aside from having to delete the /u flag in the table of contents field,
are
there any other risks from using the document map? Even with the odd
behaviour of grabbing one line captions or paragraphs, I still find it a
very
useful (albeit imperfect) tool for navigating large documents. Are there
any
alternatives to the document map (beside the obvious one of scrolling)?

Thanks for any insights, and thanks for the previous discussions on this
topic!

Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hundi Hundi is offline

Is there any way to get Microsoft to fix the document map so it stops this
document corruption?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The fact that the document map applies the outline level attribute to
paragraphs that look like headings is considered a feature, not a bug, by
Microsoft. For example, see this article:

Troubleshoot the Document Map
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...896691033.aspx

In other words, the behavior is unlikely to change.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP