Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Buggelsgaard Buggelsgaard is offline

Default Pick chapters to create a full document

Hi,
I'm looking for the possibility to create an entire document by choosing
different chapters from af word document.
Ex.: I build custommade machines, but all the parts are standard and have
their own user manuals. When I've put the machine together of 25 parts I
would like exactly these 25 chapters to be in the user manual.
But I don't want to use copy/paste our other diificult stuff.

I would like some kind of function where I pick boxes for these 25 chapters
and then the user manual is beeing created of these chapters.

Perhaps it could be that I have a "master manual" with 150 chapters and I
only use 25 of them for exactly this machine. The next machine I use 18 other
chapters.
Or perhaps something else.

I can't seem to find this function. Does it exist in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The manual method for doing this is:

- In the "master" document, insert a bookmark surrounding each chapter.
- In a custom manual, insert an IncludeText field pointing to the correct
bookmark to include that chapter.

To automate the second step, you'd need to write a macro, probably with a
userform (a custom dialog) to display the check boxes for selecting
chapters. Once the selections are made, the macro would insert the
IncludeText fields. This isn't something that's available as a built-in
feature; it would have to be written to your circumstances.

A better alternative is an application meant for document assembly. Have a
look at Bill Coan's DataPrompter program at
http://www.wordsite.com/products/dpdas.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman