Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ssavage

Default why do .tmp files stay on my desktop?

When working in Word, the .tmp files that are created with each save stay as
icons on my desktop, even after I close word. How do I hide them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The desktop is not the best place to save any documents. By default Word
saves its documents in the folder defined at tools options file
locations documents.

Word creates a variety of temporary files in the user temp folder and the
document folder. Both should be released when Word is closed, but note that
if you are using Word as editor for Outlook, Word may not be closed, but
running in the background, if Outlook is still open.

Ensure that Windows XP creates its temporary files in the correct place by
having the following registry entries:

Key Name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
Value 0
Name: TEMP
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

Value 1
Name: TMP
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

If they are still not released when Word is certainly closed then see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

ssavage wrote:
When working in Word, the .tmp files that are created with each save
stay as icons on my desktop, even after I close word. How do I hide
them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

They shouldn't be there in the first place. You need a system administrator
to look at that machine: there's something wrong with your Windows TEMP
folder (it may be that the user ID you are using does not have permission to
write there).

Word will put temp files on the desktop only if it can't write the the
Windows Temp file. Something is seriously broken in your machine.

On 29/3/06 7:45 AM, in article
, "ssavage"
wrote:

When working in Word, the .tmp files that are created with each save stay as
icons on my desktop, even after I close word. How do I hide them?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410