Charles Allen

Default Completing a Form

I've got a Word document form to complete. However, it's not working. If I
click on a checkbox to mark it, nothing happens. If I double-click on it, I
get the check box form field options window.

I'm using Word 2003.

Thank you.

You need to protect the document for forms (which the person who sent it to
you should have done). Tools | Protect Document. But note that if the
creator wasn't savvy enough to protect the document, there's a good chance
that it contains no other form fields and wasn't really intended to be a
protected form (many form creators only half know how to use form fields).
In that case, you have no option but to double-click the check box form
field and change it from unchecked to checked. I have actually received a
form that (a) contained form fields, (b) was unprotected, and (c) included
detailed instructions on how to use the Form Field Options dialog to check
the check boxes. sigh

"Charles Allen" wrote in message
I've got a Word document form to complete. However, it's not working. If I
click on a checkbox to mark it, nothing happens. If I double-click on it,

get the check box form field options window.

I'm using Word 2003.

Thank you.

Charles Kenyon

You need to protect the form. You can do this from the forms toolbar or from
the taskpane. What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online
form." Check this in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,