Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Salty Salty is offline

Default Index on large doc loops twice...

This is a 700-ish page document that loops through the search for index
entries twice including repagination. It started doing this after I
added two other indices for minor references, though these are not
being updating at the time the main index is, just coincidental, I
think.

In addition, the main index - about 130 pages - is not accurate each
time it is updated while the index entries are viewable. About each
third or fourth update or first open after starting Word (sometimes),
the index is correct

In cases where it is not accurate, the total number of pages is less
than the actaul number. The index was built using a concordance.

Obviously, I'm not so much concerned about the update looping as I am
accuracy. I just wonder if they are related. I have removed field codes
and re-generated the index, but it loops through twice just as before.

Any ideas

Salty

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Salty

One issue with indexes is that the index fields are hidden text. When you
can see them, they are taking up space and will cause the pagination to
reflect that. When you can't see them, and you generate the index, the
pagination will be correct. So you must hide the hidden text before
generating your index.

Second, I think Word will update the fields for all the indexes if it thinks
one might affect the pagination of the other. So that may be why it's
looping twice.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word