Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DTerence DTerence is offline

Default converting italic to underline

I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one step.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+H to open the replace dialog. In the "Find what" box, press Ctrl+I. In
the "Replace with" box, press Ctrl+U. Replace All.

Note that if punctuation following italicized text has been (correctly)
italicized, it will also be underlined, so you may need to rerun replace to
find underlined periods, commas, etc. and remove the underline. If you find
you need to do this, type the punctuation mark into the "Find what" box and
press Ctrl+U (after clearing the Ctrl+I formatting). In the "Replace with"
box, type the same punctuation mark (or ^&) and press Ctrl+U a second time
to get Format: Font: No Underline.

"DTerence" wrote in message
I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You can use Find and Replace to do that:
1. Make sure nothing is selected in the document.
2. Press Ctrl+H to open the Find and Replace dialog box. Click the €śMore€ť
button and make sure the two fields are empty and that no check boxes are
checked (the €śNo Formatting€ť button will clear any formatting listed below
the fields).
3. Click in the €śFind what€ť field and press Ctrl+I (now €śFont: Italic€ť
should appear below the field).
4. Click in the €śReplace with€ť field. Press Ctrl+I twice (now €śFont:Not
Italic should appear below the field). Then press Ctrl+U (now €śUnderline€ť
should also appear below the field).
5. Click the €śReplace All€ť button.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Uh-oh, there you are using a different style manual again! Following
punctuation should only be italicized on the rare occasions when it's
part of the material being italicized, as opposed to being part of the
"matrix sentence" into which italicized material has been inserted.
(And Word recognizes this by not including following punctuation when
double-clicking to select a word.)

"DTerence" wrote in message

I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I thought I was following "Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers at the
University Press, Oxford." I'm still convinced it's in there somewhere,
though I can never find it. The "Chicago Manual of Style" deals with this
(§§6.3 and 6.5) The latter section describes the rule I learned ("a more
traditional system"), the former Chicago's current thinking, which is as you
describe. "This departure from Chicago's former usage serves both simplicity
and logic."

One of the examples given is: "Smith played the title role in Hamlet,
Macbeth, and King Lear; after his final performance, during which many in
the audience wept, he announced his retirement." I still think this looks
more graceful with at least the commas italicized.

In any case, the problem at hand doesn't depend on what style you or I might
use but the style used by the person who applied the italics in the document
in question.

"DTerence" wrote in message

I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one
step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Words into Type" (admittedly now much out of date) is quite explicit (pp.
172-173):

"Commas, colons, and semicolons are set in the typeface (italic or boldface)
of the preceding word. Quotation marks, exclamation points, question marks,
and parentheses are set according to the overall context of the sentence."

WiT adds this reservation: "A single italic letter preceding any punctuation
mark does not justify setting the mark in italic type."

"DTerence" wrote in message

I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one
step.

spatzky spatzky is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTerence View Post
I want convert all italicized text to underlined text globally in one step.
try CTR A then CTR U if you want it underline and CTR I if you want it italics

Why does my entire document underline when I underline one word? BuckeyeTom Microsoft Word Help 3 April 3rd 08 12:09 AM
Use of Bold, Underline, or Italic changes entire document Jim in Cincinnati Microsoft Word Help 1 September 30th 06 10:21 PM
italic kylawag Microsoft Word Help 1 May 30th 05 11:57 PM
How to make subheads italic, but not italic in TOC? Kate Microsoft Word Help 7 April 4th 05 12:07 AM
short underline for signature..press enter..get a bold underline MQY Microsoft Word Help 2 March 25th 05 12:45 AM