Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected].(donotspam)

Default Trouble creating bookmarks

I have an existing Word 2002 document that I want to create a bookmark for
every subsection. I did not create the document and it is a document that has
evolved from Word 4 (back in the olden days) to Word 2002.

When I select show/hide I see the follwing text for a subsection bookmark:
Bookmark:204B. I do not understand why I can't take the existing subsection
text and create a bookmark.

I select Insert/Bookmark. I then get a Bookmark dialog box. I add the
bookmark and there is nothing that shows that I added a bookmark to the
document.

What did I do wrong? This should not be this hard to do.
--
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier

Are you saying that you can not see the bookmark indicators?
Tools, Options, View, bookmarks. The reason you see the text
inside the bookmark when the Show/Hide is displayed is because
text formatted as hidden displays when the Show/Hide is toggled.

What I would do, to create a similar bookmark:

1. Type the text I want inside the bookmark.
2. Format the Font for Hidden
3. With the text still selected, Insert the bookmark using the
same name as the typed text.

Let me know if I understood your question correctly.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

.(donotspam)"
m wrote in
message
I have an existing Word 2002 document that I want to create a
bookmark for
every subsection. I did not create the document and it is a
document that has
evolved from Word 4 (back in the olden days) to Word 2002.

When I select show/hide I see the follwing text for a subsection
bookmark:
Bookmark:204B. I do not understand why I can't take the existing
subsection
text and create a bookmark.

I select Insert/Bookmark. I then get a Bookmark dialog box. I add
the
bookmark and there is nothing that shows that I added a bookmark
to the
document.

What did I do wrong? This should not be this hard to do.
--
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that if you have used Word's built-in headings for your section titles,
or if they are autonumbered, they are already bookmarked. In the
Cross-reference or Hyperlink dialog, you will see them listed under
"Headings," "Numbered items," or "Bookmarks."

"donotspam"
@discussion s.microsoft.com wrote in
message ...