Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paige Harrison

Default Cross Referencing to Caption

I've previously created a large Word (Word 2002) document that has up to 20
appendices that I want to cross reference. I've created the appendix
headings using the Inser | Caption (and created an "Appendix" label).
However, when I want to cross reference in text to the caption, neither
Captions nor my label "appendices" appear in the dialogue box.

This is infuriating because I've found the cross-reference tool very useful.
Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UGFpZ2UgSGFycmlzb24=?=,

I've previously created a large Word (Word 2002) document that has up to 20
appendices that I want to cross reference. I've created the appendix
headings using the Inser | Caption (and created an "Appendix" label).
However, when I want to cross reference in text to the caption, neither
Captions nor my label "appendices" appear in the dialogue box.

Generally, if someone tells me they've

1. used Insert/Caption
2. are still on the same machine
3. and the captions aren't listed in the cross-references dialog box

I have to ask: did you insert the caption into a text box?

If the answer is yes, right-click each textbox, go into the Format Textbox
dialog box, and in the Textbox tab click "Convert to Frame".

Reason: textboxes and all other "floating" objects with text wrap formatting
(except for frames) are located in the "drawing layer" of the document. Much
of Word's core functionality can't "see" this layer (it was added to Word in
version 97; the core functionality dates back to Word 1.0).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org