Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Walt Maken Walt Maken is offline

Default What is the maximum file size allowable for a Word 2007 document?

I'm helping a friend put together a document on his computer. He has an
earlier version of Word and according to the Help section, Word documents are
theoretically limited to 32 MB. However, the document he is currently
working on is nearly 80 MB, primarily due to the inclusion of scanned images.
In spite of the 32 MB limit shown in his Help, we continue to be able to add
to and save his document that is nearly 80 MB.

I have Word 2007 on my laptop, but cannot find where it tells me the
Word 2007 document file size limitation. Is it theoretically greater than the
32 MB that my friend's earlier version of Word says? And, what are the
potential problems that might result from continuing to add to even the 80
MB, when the limit is supposed to be 32 MB on his version of Word?

Thank you,

Walt Maken

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

According to the following Knowledge Base
article(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489) the limit is still 32MB in
Word 2007 BUT, as in Word 2003, this limit does not include graphics
regardless of whether they are embedded or linked. In other words, the 32 MB
limit applies to text.

I don't know of any specific problems as you reach the maximum limit for
text but I would frequently make backups or, if performance becomes an issue,
break the document apart into several files and then recombine them into a
single document whenever necessary.