redskittle96

Default Sometimes I can't open a document from disk even when it's on the.

In my university, there is only 1 computer lab with disk drives. And
whenever I save my work onto a disk, it usually can't be opened again...even
on the same computer that I saved it on! It says "the document name or path
is not valid". Even if the disk has worked in the past, sometimes it just
stops working. Is there anything I can do about this?
Doug Robbins

Saving a document directly to a diskette is an almost certain way of
corrupting it. You should always save to the hard drive and then use
Windows Explorer to copy it to the diskette.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"redskittle96" wrote in message
news
In my university, there is only 1 computer lab with disk drives. And
whenever I save my work onto a disk, it usually can't be opened
again...even
on the same computer that I saved it on! It says "the document name or
path
is not valid". Even if the disk has worked in the past, sometimes it just
stops working. Is there anything I can do about this?

redskittle96

And is there any way to recover my old work?
redskittle96

and is there any way to recover my old work?

Graham Mayor

Probably not, but if the floppy is still readable - see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Never ever read from, write to or print from floppy with Word. This is the
most certain method of ensuring document corruption. Copy to the hard disc
and work on the document from there.

You can do this using Windows Explorer which is installed by default on all
Windows PCs. Drag the file to and from the floppy drive (A to a folder on
the hard drive (probably C

If you must move documents between PCs, then a USB flash drive would be a
safer option.