Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
B Jackson B Jackson is offline

Default Spell check

I have documents created over the last ten years in various versions of
word/works. Spell check works on some of them but does not work on all of
them. Is there a way to make it work on all?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm. Note that if a
document created in Word for Windows 95 or earlier is opened in Word 97 or
later, "Hide spelling errors in this document" will be enabled for that
document. Word 97 was the version in which "Check spelling as you type" was
introduced, and it was perhaps assumed that users for some reason wouldn't
want to see errors in their older documents.

I never understood this, and it bit me quite a few times (typos going
unnoticed) before I figured out what was going on.

http://word.mvps.org