Kurt

Default How to merge columns in tables?

I would like to be able to merge columns in a Word table. E.g., I have a
table that has 2 columns, and multiple rows. If I "merge cells", all of the
cells become a single glob of text. What I would like to do is, with Columns
A and B, and Rows 1-6, get A1 and B1 into a single cell; A2 and B2 into a
single cell, etc.

Can that be done? How?

Kurt
Jay Freedman

Kurt wrote:
I would like to be able to merge columns in a Word table. E.g., I
have a table that has 2 columns, and multiple rows. If I "merge
cells", all of the cells become a single glob of text. What I would
like to do is, with Columns A and B, and Rows 1-6, get A1 and B1 into
a single cell; A2 and B2 into a single cell, etc.

Can that be done? How?

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Manually, you have to select a pair of cells, click the Merge command, then
select the next pair, and so on. The command just merges together whatever
is selected. You could speed it up a little by hitting F4 (the Redo) command
each time after the first, instead of reaching for the Table menu.

It's a lot quicker with a macro:

Sub MergeByRow()
Dim oRow As Row
For Each oRow In ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows
oRow.Cells(1).Merge Mergeto:=oRow.Cells(2)
Next oRow
End Sub

--
Regards,