Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melisa24 Melisa24 is offline

Default How do I create formulas in a table, using Word?

I am trying to build forms so they can be accessed from a different computer
on the network. These forms are all made in Microsoft word but I am having
trouble trying to figure out how to write formulas in the table. I have tried
to make a similar table in excel and then copy back to Word, but then Word
will not formulate any of the math! It has become frustrating...can anyone
help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you paste the Excel sheet into Word as a link or as an object, then Word
can use Excel's facilities to perform the needed math operation. If you're
converting the Excel sheet into a Word table, however, then you'll need to
use Word's own facilities, which are much more limited and less intuitive
than Excel's.

To do math in Word, you can use the = field. For example, { =sum(above) }
calculates the sum of items in the cells above the one containing that sum
field... up to the the top of that column or to the first empty or
non-numeric cell encountered. You can also use column/row notation, to a
certain extent, in the more recent versions of Word--i.e., A1, C4, etc. I
suggest you look at the = field in Word's Help file for additional
information. But, IMO, you're much better off using an Excel link or
object... unless the link/object won't function correctly in the kinds of
forms you're creating.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible