Linh

Default Extra space btwn paragraphs

I created a style with 6 pt before and after, single space with page vertical
alignment as top justified. Most of my Word documents have the correct
spacing between paragraphs; however, there are some files where the spacing
for the exact same style (6 pt. before and after, single space) is slightly
more (2-3 mm)between the paragraphs. I can't seem to figure out the cause of
this extra spacing and have tried looking at the page setup, styles, spacing
before and after, etc. What's causing this problem?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGluaA==?=,

I created a style with 6 pt before and after, single space with page vertical
alignment as top justified. Most of my Word documents have the correct
spacing between paragraphs; however, there are some files where the spacing
for the exact same style (6 pt. before and after, single space) is slightly
more (2-3 mm)between the paragraphs. I can't seem to figure out the cause of
this extra spacing and have tried looking at the page setup, styles, spacing
before and after, etc. What's causing this problem?

Unfortunately, you don't mention the version of Word involved?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGluaA==?=,

I created these files in Word 2000, and now we upgraded to Word 2003. I
noticed the spacing problems even in Word 2000.

Hmmm. MS introduced an HTML-compatbility behavior that *I* never liked; it was in
either 2000 or 2002. When space before and space after meet, one of them is
suppressed. So, I was wondering if, in some circumstances what you're actually
seeing is both of them taking effect, while at other times only one is.

Check in Tools/Options/Compatibility if changing the option "Don't use HTML
paragraph auto spacing" makes any difference in how consistent the spacing appears?

I created a style with 6 pt before and after, single space with page vertical
alignment as top justified. Most of my Word documents have the correct
spacing between paragraphs; however, there are some files where the spacing
for the exact same style (6 pt. before and after, single space) is slightly
more (2-3 mm)between the paragraphs. I can't seem to figure out the cause of
this extra spacing and have tried looking at the page setup, styles, spacing
before and after, etc. What's causing this problem?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Stefan Blom

Another thing to consider is that the total distance between
paragraphs (that is, the distance between the last line of a paragraph
and the first line of the following paragraph) also includes the value
for line spacing.

--
Stefan Blom

Hi ?B?TGluaA==?=,