Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bugatti_royale bugatti_royale is offline

Default Locking footers only

I'm having trouble locking footers, and footers only, on documents. The
problem is essentially that locking the footers seems to also lock any
pictures and some other elements on the page.

Without going into detail, the (single-page) documents are recreating
layouts created in Quark XPress, and require text to run over images, so the
images are in text boxes and arranged behind text. I'm using the Insert
Continuous Break - Tools/Protect/Forms/Sections method to protect the footer,
but it seems as if there's no way to insert the images in a document without
them being treated as in the same section as the footer. Am I just missing
something, or is it just not possible to do what I want here? The final
document should allow all text and images on the page to be edited, deleted,
moved etc, but the (single-line) footer should be locked.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?YnVnYXR0aV9yb3lhbGU=?=,

I'm having trouble locking footers, and footers only, on documents. The
problem is essentially that locking the footers seems to also lock any
pictures and some other elements on the page.

Without going into detail, the (single-page) documents are recreating
layouts created in Quark XPress, and require text to run over images, so the
images are in text boxes and arranged behind text. I'm using the Insert
Continuous Break - Tools/Protect/Forms/Sections method to protect the footer,
but it seems as if there's no way to insert the images in a document without
them being treated as in the same section as the footer. Am I just missing
something, or is it just not possible to do what I want here? The final
document should allow all text and images on the page to be edited, deleted,
moved etc, but the (single-line) footer should be locked.

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by "locking just the footer" and you
don't say what it is the in footer that shouldn't be changed. Nor,
unfortunately, do you mention which version of Word is involved, here.

Just generally, in most versions of Word, there's nothing that you can do to
prevent users from working in the header or footer and still allow all other
commands (such as working with pictures). Document protection simply doesn't
allow some things.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bugatti_royale bugatti_royale is offline

Thanks Cindy... for the record I'm using Word X for Mac, though any solution
here should really be one that works across as many flavours of Word as
possible, or at least on the most widely installed versions (which I guess
means Word 2000?).

The footer that I want to lock is a single line of text, with no graphics.
And what I mean by 'lock' it is simply to prevent that single line of text
from being edited or deleted whilst everyting else on the page shoudl be
freely editable. Which, by the sound of it, may simply not be possible.

Paul

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?YnVnYXR0aV9yb3lhbGU=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?YnVnYXR0aV9yb3lhbGU=?=,

for the record I'm using Word X for Mac, though any solution
here should really be one that works across as many flavours of Word as
possible, or at least on the most widely installed versions (which I guess
means Word 2000?).

The footer that I want to lock is a single line of text, with no graphics.
And what I mean by 'lock' it is simply to prevent that single line of text
from being edited or deleted whilst everyting else on the page shoudl be
freely editable. Which, by the sound of it, may simply not be possible.

Best you could do would be to create the entire footer as a graphic. Then it
can't be edited - it's either there in its entirety or it's been deleted.
Conceivably, you could have macro code that checks whether the footer-graphic
is present and if it's not, then certain things aren't allowed (printing, for
example). But you need to be aware that a user can use the Insert/File method
to insert any document into another one and, at that point, the last footer
in any document will be cut off and any forms protection and macros will be
removed.

Word 2003 provides IRM (Information Rights Management) that would give you
some control over this. And Word 2007 has Content Controls, which would
probably be the best bet. But neither of these is an option, given the
version restrictions you cite.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Locking Headers and Footers only twirly Microsoft Word Help 3 March 30th 06 07:47 PM
Headers and footers printing different size on odd and even pages Colinhp Microsoft Word Help 4 January 19th 06 07:55 AM
Problems with Heades and Footers Lawrin Walker Microsoft Word Help 0 September 14th 05 06:06 PM
Uneven Footers Waking Page Layout 2 June 19th 05 05:20 AM
Locking headers and footers in word €“ ASAP Selina Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 03:16 PM