Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
bbranch bbranch is offline

Default excel table in word

I have an embedded excel table in a word document for office 2003. In the
excel table there are degree symbols that exist fine in excel; however when I
go to the word document and it displays the table as a word document all the
degree symbols change to question marks. I have not had this problem before
and have used this method for the past five years. What changed and how do I
fix it. the type face is Times New Roman.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
bbranch bbranch is offline

Yes I checked that. I created the degree by pasting the degree symbol from
Character Map, in the Times New Roman Font, into the excel cell text (like
longitude and latitude). When I display the table in excel it looks as it
should but when I click outside the excel table and it is converted to an
embedded table within the word document, it changes the symbols. Is there a
spell checker type device that does not understand the degree symbol and
thinks it should be converted to a question mark?

"bbranch" wrote in message
I have an embedded excel table in a word document for office 2003. In the
excel table there are degree symbols that exist fine in excel; however

when I
go to the word document and it displays the table as a word document all

the
degree symbols change to question marks. I have not had this problem

before
and have used this method for the past five years. What changed and how

do I
fix it. the type face is Times New Roman.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When you say Character Map, are you referring to the Windows Character Map
or the Insert Symbol dialog in Excel? Are you using TNR as the default font
in Excel? If not, then the symbol might be encoded as TNR in the midst of
some otherwise Arial text, and that might make a difference.

If you select the character in Word and press Alt+X, what number is the
result? (Should be 00B0 for a degree symbol.) Better still, select the
character in Word and open the Insert | Symbol dialog and see what is
selected. I assume you were careful to insert the degree symbol (00B0) and
not the masculine ordinal indicator (00BA), which is a superscript o.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

How were the degree symbols inserted in Excel? Are they from the same

font
as the text?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"bbranch" wrote in message
I have an embedded excel table in a word document for office 2003. In

the
excel table there are degree symbols that exist fine in excel; however

when I
go to the word document and it displays the table as a word document

all
the
degree symbols change to question marks. I have not had this problem

before
and have used this method for the past five years. What changed and

how
do I
fix it. the type face is Times New Roman.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
bbranch bbranch is offline

NEVERMIND - You were correct a strange symbol format had crept in and I
replaced all symbols and all is well. Thanks for your help.

Excel table in Word Betsy Tables 2 January 8th 07 04:56 AM
Update Excel table in Word automatically from data in Excel yvonnedemulder Tables 1 December 6th 05 06:49 PM
Update Excel table in Word automatically from data in Excel yvonnedemulder Microsoft Word Help 4 December 6th 05 06:49 PM
Excel data into Word table Melinda Mailmerge 1 October 13th 05 04:47 AM
Converting a Word Table into an Excel Table? Miss Need to Know Tables 1 May 27th 05 12:57 AM