Mike

Default Auto Text in Header/Footer

I am having some trouble with Header & Footers in Word. Although i can pull
them up to view and can insert certain items, the Autotext option is greyed
out and non operational.
Can anyone help me get it back please ?
Thanks
--
Mike Wells
Secretary

Mike

Thanks for the info. I was advised to amend normal.dot to avoid icons
dissapearing from tool bars every time Word opened new dos.
However, have renamed file under MS Office templates as suggested - but open
Word and new file and still have same problem ?
Mike Wells
Secretary
York Golf Club

Mike wrote:
I am having some trouble with Header & Footers in Word. Although i
can pull them up to view and can insert certain items, the Autotext
option is greyed out and non operational.
Can anyone help me get it back please ?
Thanks

Graham Mayor

Do you have more than one normal.dot? The one that matters is saved in the
folder indicated at tools options file locations user templates.

Mike wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was advised to amend normal.dot to avoid icons
disappearing from tool bars every time Word opened new dos.

Mike wrote:
I am having some trouble with Header & Footers in Word. Although i
can pull them up to view and can insert certain items, the Autotext
option is greyed out and non operational.
Can anyone help me get it back please ?
Thanks

Mike

Thanks again Graham. Have changed the one referred to and whilst this now
allows me to insert autotext in header/footer and gives me options, I now am
back to my icons dissappearing from toolbars every time a new document is
opened.

I will have to try and find a different way of stopping this from happening
than changing the normal.dot file although some of the instructions on how to
amend things need a rocket scientist to handle.

Thanks for at least sorting one issue for me

--
Mike Wells
Secretary

Mike wrote:
I am having some trouble with Header & Footers in Word. Although i
can pull them up to view and can insert certain items, the Autotext
option is greyed out and non operational.
Can anyone help me get it back please ?
Thanks

Charles Kenyon

You need to do some fairly extensive repairs. You never want to save a
different file with the name normal.dot. Only Word can build a normal.dot
that does everything needed.

So, at this point you may need to build your icons back into a file. First,
though, try moving your old normal.dot file into your Word Startup folder
and see if that gives you your icons back next time you open Word. You can
find the location for this folder under Tools Options File Locations.
The folder should _not_ be in your regular templates folders. For more on
the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations
of templates folders see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

If that doesn't work, you might as well build a new global template with
your customizations outside of normal.dot, as spend the time recustomizing
your new normal.dot. See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for
step-by-step instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up
customizations including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments,
toolbars, macros, etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Mike wrote:
I am having some trouble with Header & Footers in Word. Although i
can pull them up to view and can insert certain items, the Autotext
option is greyed out and non operational.
Can anyone help me get it back please ?
Thanks

Graham Mayor

Which icons 'disappear' from your toolbars?
Could this be that you have tools customize options show standard and
formatting toolbars on two rows unchecked?

Mike wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was advised to amend normal.dot to avoid
icons disappearing from tool bars every time Word opened new dos.