Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melinda

Default Invisible Paragraph Returns

Hello,
I have a document with several sections. At the end of a section, there is
a large white space. If I double click in the white space, several paragraph
returns are revealed. Deleting them does not move up the text from the next
page. The section break at the end of this section used to be a next page
break that was changed to continuous. Any ideas on what these returns might
be and how to get rid of them?
Thanks!
Melinda
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

Could the paragraph returns be within a text box, or perhaps within the
footer of that section?

How did you change the section break characteristics? Remember that the
section break stores information for the section *preceding* the break, so
to change a break so that it reads and behaves as continuous you have to
change the characteristics of the section *after* the break. If you just
double-click on the break you see, you'll be changing the start of the
section above it, not the following section. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...onscontent.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Melinda" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a document with several sections. At the end of a section, there
is
a large white space. If I double click in the white space, several
paragraph
returns are revealed. Deleting them does not move up the text from the
next
page. The section break at the end of this section used to be a next page
break that was changed to continuous. Any ideas on what these returns
might
be and how to get rid of them?
Thanks!
Melinda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Hi Melinda,

The large space is probably because the new section is set to start on a new
page.

Double clicking in empty space in a document will, with click and type
enabled, generate lots of paragraph marks to position the insertion point
where you double clicked. You are not revealing them, you are inserting them
and you can, of course, delete them - neither action, as you have seen, will
have any effect on a new section which doesn't start yet.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Melinda" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a document with several sections. At the end of a section, there

is
a large white space. If I double click in the white space, several

paragraph
returns are revealed. Deleting them does not move up the text from the

next
page. The section break at the end of this section used to be a next page
break that was changed to continuous. Any ideas on what these returns

might
be and how to get rid of them?
Thanks!
Melinda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melinda

Thanks for the replies. It seems that Tony has the correct response. The
section was set up to start on a new page.
Thanks for the insight!
Melinda