Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila D Sheila D is offline

Default Table of Contents not updating

I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.
Thanks, Sheila
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Sheila

Sheila D wrote:
I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.

exact version (Service Pack), please. Could it be an issue outlined in
the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933827/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila D Sheila D is offline

Hi Robert, I'm using SP2, I do not have any protected sections in the
document. I've tried doing a simple 1 page document with just a couple of
headings and the TOC still does not update so I don't think it is to do with
the hotfix (unless I am misreading the article....)Thanks for your help - any
other suggestions?

Sheila

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Sheila

Sheila D wrote:
I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.

exact version (Service Pack), please. Could it be an issue outlined in
the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933827/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you create the TOC yourself? If not, are you sure it is a field? Press
Alt+F9 to see if you see a TOC field code. If not, then it may have been
created manually or inserted as a field and then unlinked. If so, it may be
locked; you can unlock it with Ctrl+Shift+F11.

"Sheila D" wrote in message
Hi Robert, I'm using SP2, I do not have any protected sections in the
document. I've tried doing a simple 1 page document with just a couple of
headings and the TOC still does not update so I don't think it is to do

with
the hotfix (unless I am misreading the article....)Thanks for your help -

any
other suggestions?

Sheila

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Sheila

Sheila D wrote:
I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not

updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.

exact version (Service Pack), please. Could it be an issue outlined in
the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933827/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila D Sheila D is offline

Hi Suzanne

It's definitely a TOC, I created it and have tried several more in new and
old documents and none of them update on 2003. I've been using TOC's since
about ver. 6 and not had this problem, tried detect and repair but that has
not changed anything. If I open it on another PC running Word XP it works
perfectly. I'm baffled by this as I'm not aware of anything other than Update
Fields not being checked that could cause the problem.

Sheila

"Sheila D" wrote in message
Hi Robert, I'm using SP2, I do not have any protected sections in the
document. I've tried doing a simple 1 page document with just a couple of
headings and the TOC still does not update so I don't think it is to do

with
the hotfix (unless I am misreading the article....)Thanks for your help -

any
other suggestions?

Sheila

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Sheila

Sheila D wrote:
I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not

updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.

exact version (Service Pack), please. Could it be an issue outlined in
the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933827/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, let's get back to the "not updating" part, then. If you select a TOC
and press F9, you get one of two results: (1) a dialog asking whether you
want to update the whole TOC or just the page numbers or (2) no apparent
result, but the TOC is updated. The latter seems to occur (a) when there are
no page numbers and (b) when Word somehow knows that the whole TOC needs to
be updated and doesn't bother to ask for permission.

Now, is it possible that the TOC is actually being updated and you think it
isn't because you're not getting the dialog? Or are there changes that you
should be seeing in the TOC that are not being made?

Also, if what you're seeing is that the page numbers in the TOC are wrong,
keep in mind that you need to have Hidden text (if any) hidden when you
update the TOC (or an index) to be sure the page references are correct.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you create the TOC yourself? If not, are you sure it is a field?

Press
Alt+F9 to see if you see a TOC field code. If not, then it may have been
created manually or inserted as a field and then unlinked. If so, it may

be
locked; you can unlock it with Ctrl+Shift+F11.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sheila D" wrote in message
Hi Robert, I'm using SP2, I do not have any protected sections in the
document. I've tried doing a simple 1 page document with just a couple

of
headings and the TOC still does not update so I don't think it is to

do
with
the hotfix (unless I am misreading the article....)Thanks for your

help -
any
other suggestions?

Sheila

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Sheila

Sheila D wrote:
I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not

updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.

exact version (Service Pack), please. Could it be an issue outlined

in
the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933827/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila D Sheila D is offline

Hi Suzanne

I've been playing around with this and now found that the cause of the
problem seems to be when I print using a macro - as I have more than 1
printer I have toolbar buttons linked to macros to say where the document is
to go. I don't write VB so this is just as Word recorded the macro:

Sub Print_Printer()
'
' Print_Printer Macro
' Macro recorded 10/04/2006 by Dale
'
ActivePrinter = "HP Deskjet 3740 Series"
Application.PrintOut FileName:="", Range:=wdPrintAllDocument, Item:= _
wdPrintDocumentContent, Copies:=1, Pages:="",
PageType:=wdPrintAllPages, _
ManualDuplexPrint:=False, Collate:=False, Background:=True,
PrintToFile:= _
False, PrintZoomColumn:=0, PrintZoomRow:=0, PrintZoomPaperWidth:=0, _
PrintZoomPaperHeight:=0
End Sub

Also I have established that if I delete a heading or change the complete
heading it updates but if I change part of a heading it does not update which
seems rather bizarre. Unless there is some mod I can make to the code I guess
I will have to be disciplined and remember to print from the File, Print
command. Thanks for your help so far which has made me analyse the exact
problem and thus come up with a reason if not a solution!

Sheila

"Sheila D" wrote in message
Hi Robert, I'm using SP2, I do not have any protected sections in the
document. I've tried doing a simple 1 page document with just a couple

of
headings and the TOC still does not update so I don't think it is to

do
with
the hotfix (unless I am misreading the article....)Thanks for your

help -
any
other suggestions?

Sheila

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Sheila

Sheila D wrote:
I have the Update Fields option checked but my TOC is still not
updating when
I print - any suggestions gratefully received. Using Word 2003.

exact version (Service Pack), please. Could it be an issue outlined

in
the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933827/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not a coder, so I can't help, but there are plenty of folks here who
can. I suspect it's just a matter of adding an UpdateFields command to the
beginning of the macro, though why a Print macro would ignore the Print
Options is beyond me.

"Sheila D" wrote in message
Hi Robert, I'm using SP2, I do not have any protected sections in

the
document. I've tried doing a simple 1 page document with just a

couple
of
headings and the TOC still does not update so I don't think it is

do
with
the hotfix (unless I am misreading the article....)Thanks for your

help -
any
other suggestions?

Sheila