Nadiknit Nadiknit is offline
Junior Member

Default Innovative Creation of TOC for Action Items from Meeting Minutes

Hi,

I have recently come arcoss a Notes of Meeting document where the creator managed to summarise the 'Actions Items' agreed upon in a table of contents, and this table is a multi-column table!

Unfortunately, I only have the PDF version of the document, so I can't know how they've done it.

In short this is how the document looks like:

1.1. Discussion of Item 1 of the Agenda

01 / Company 1 / 06-06-2012 / Company 1 to update Notes of Meeting

1.2 Discussion of Item 2 of the Agenda

02 / Company 2 / 31-12-2012 / Company 2 to provide data

Etc.

The 01 and 02 entries are 'Action Items' from the Notes of Meeting.
Maybe they are fields or they are outline levels or styles in multi-column fields in a single-row, 4-column table, i can't know. But what i do know is that they are formatted in a way that allows them to populate the multi-column table of contents at the beginning of the document, which looks like this:

Action No. / Action On / Due Date / Action Required

This table of contents (don't know if it is formatted as a multi-column or as gridded table), lists all the actions in the same manner as they appear below the item discussions, i.e. they appear as rows.

I tried to format the 'Action Items' entries in the document as styles, as table entries using the TC field code (which is hidden, i.e. useless in this case), and as outline levels. I also tried columns. None of this worked. Searched a lot of forums, watched a lot of tutorials, and learned very useful things on field codes, but I couldn't resolve the issue of:

How to transform 'Action Items' into a tabulated listing that updates automatically? So far, i have formatted notes of meeting manually, and it's been a painful exercise because the summarised table has to be visited every time a change is made to the 'Action Items' listed under a discussion.

Apologies for the long-windedness.

Is there anybody in this forum who has faced a similar issue and managed to resolve it? I'm sure it can be done, but I need someone to tell me how, please.

Thanks
Nadiknit
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

"Nadiknit" wrote

01 / Company 1 / 06-06-2012 / Company 1 to update Notes of Meeting
02 / Company 2 / 31-12-2012 / Company 2 to provide data

maybe, the entries are separated by tabs. Item 01, item 02 are two
paragraphs formatted with the same style (e.g. one of the Headings or a
custom style).
In the TOC field you have to suppress page numbers by a switch (/n),
and you have to preserve the tabs by a switch (/w). The TOC field then
should look like this:
{ TOC \t "CustomStyle;1" \n \w }

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The TOC style would also have to have a hanging indent at the tab position
to handle runover lines.

http://word.mvps.org

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message
Hi,

"Nadiknit" wrote

01 / Company 1 / 06-06-2012 / Company 1 to update Notes of Meeting
02 / Company 2 / 31-12-2012 / Company 2 to provide data

maybe, the entries are separated by tabs. Item 01, item 02 are two
paragraphs formatted with the same style (e.g. one of the Headings or a
custom style).
In the TOC field you have to suppress page numbers by a switch (/n), and
you have to preserve the tabs by a switch (/w). The TOC field then should
look like this:
{ TOC \t "CustomStyle;1" \n \w }

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Nadiknit Nadiknit is offline
Junior Member

Thank you very much Lisa and Suzanne. It worked!! I only replaced the semi-colon with a comma.

I still have a problem with the tabbing, runover text, and keeping the runover text in place in the main Action Item (styled) and in the TOC (uses the field code with the w field switch).

So, I have

No. (tab) Action (tab) Responsibility (tab) Observations (tab) Status

Action and Observations tend to runover. To my knowledge, hanging indent works once (i.e. for one of the four tabs in my case). So, what method allows to keep runover text under Action AND under Observations in the main text? Then, how to apply this method to the TOC as well?

Cheers
Nadiknit

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

only replaced the semi-colon with a comma.

sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using a German version ...

No. (tab) Action (tab) Responsibility (tab) Observations (tab) Status
So, what method allows to keep runover text under Action AND
under Observations in the main text? Then, how to apply this
method to the TOC as well?

I think, there is no chance at all. The only way would be to place the
entries within table cells.
But there is no way to split the TOC paragraphs automatically and put
the items into different cells.

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]