Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

Default Images, Mail Merge and Text Boxes

I've read up on some other suggestions and the replys either didn't work or
did not actually address the question I asked.

I'm trying to set up a Mail Merge document that can bring in a graphic file
located in a separate location. The graphic needs to be 'on top of' another
graphic located in the Mail Merge document. The only way I know how to do
this is to insert a text box 'on top of' the original background graphic,
then put the merged image in the text box. Problem is, this doesn't work for
me...this is what I did:

Graphic files are .jpg's and saved to c:\graphics.
Mail Merge data is in an Excel spreadsheet.

I have a word doc...I've added a text box over a picture, then done the
following in the text box:
Ctrl+f9 (got the braces {})
typed:
INCLUDEPICTURE "C:\\GRAPHICS\\
Ctrl+f9 (got the 2nd set of braces{})
typed:
MERGEFIELD PIC
used the right arrow to get outside of the first set of braces
typed:
..jpg"

My final statement looks like this:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "C:\\GRAPHICS\\{MERGEFIELD PIC}.JPG"}

The Pic field on my Excel mail merge record file contains just the file name
I want to bring in - WomanDLPicLg or ManDLPicLg.

When I leave the field, I can see it when I toggle the field codes on, but
when they are off I don't see the field.

I save the document, then merge to a new document and get an error:
"Word found locked fields during the update. Word cannot update locked
fields."

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or better yet, is there some other way to
get the graphic to appear 'on top of' another graphic? (I was told text boxes
were unreliable, but the links given to make it work had nothing to do with
an alternative).

It should be noted that I tried this on another blank mail merge document
NOT using text boxes and it also does not bring in the graphic, but does not
display any locked field error.

Thanks guys (and ladies)!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It helps to maintain the thread!

I have been testing this and provided the document is not a table, you can
even use your text box option to place a merged graphic over another graphic
that is pre-placed and set behind text. Your syntax for the INCLUDEPICTURE
field is correct.

The bit you appear to be missing is that you must merge to a new document
then update all the fields in that new documen to display the correct
imagest. You may find the update macro at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm useful!

Robert_L_Ross wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

Graham,

I figured that the syntax was right since just merging the image without
trying to lay it over another graphic worked, as did merging with a text box
alone. It's when I combine the two that It fails.

You are incorrect in that I DID merge to a new document - as indicated in
the statement from my previous post:
"I save the document, then merge to a new document and get an error: "Word
found locked fields during the update. Word cannot update locked fields."

The problem I have is that during the merge I get the 'locked field' error -
I can't get to the step of pressing Ctrl+A, F9 since the merge never
finishes. I have to OK through the error, then when I do, I do the Ctrl+A,
F9 and it doesn't update the field since the merge never completed.

So, I did merge to a new doc and I did try to update. I found if I just
overlay the graphic with no text box it works, but there is another issue
when doing that.

What I'm trying to do in this entire mess is to create a merge document for
usability testing for a web site we are creating. With this document, we can
quickly modify and create test cases by simply updating a spreadsheet with
vital info, then merging - allowing us to do massive amounts of testing in a
short time.

One of the items a user needs is a license. We are trying to set up a merge
doc that we can have the 'background' of a valid license display, then
overlay the DL pic and vital information (address, etc.).

A California license has two pictures (one large on the left and a smaller,
greyed out one on the right). Between the two I need text specifically
placed. When I put the images in and try to align the text, since the left
image is so big, the text won't lay over correctly, it drops to be even with
the bottom of the picture, thereby throwing off the location of the other
picture as well.

Robert_L_Ross wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this error from the information you have
provided. Does http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292155 help?

If it is not confidential, can you e-mail me the document and the two
images?

Robert_L_Ross wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert_L_Ross Robert_L_Ross is offline

Graham,

I'll check on Monday to see if the KB article applies. I can also send you
the doc, but it's pretty easy to replicate without it. Simply add some
mergefields (with an .xls file as the source). Put some small graphics on
your C drive, then have the name of the graphics in the spreadsheet. On the
source merge doc, put a graphic down, then set the text to lay over the
graphic. Add an includeimage and refer to the local graphic. Add a text box
and try to add another graphic inside the text box. Merge and see what
happens.

Let me know if that produces an error on your side. If it doesn't, I'll
send you my docs.

Robert_L_Ross wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do you have Tools|Options|"Automatically create drawing canvas when
inserting AutoShapes" checked? If so, try unchecking it, then inserting your
text boxes.

Peter Jamieson