Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Modemjunkie Modemjunkie is offline

Default Handling backup files - a better way?

The way MS Word handles backup files in annoying and interferes with
productivity (at least for me). I have some complaints, suggestions
or preferences. If there is any way to accomplish any of these please
tell me. TIA

Complaints:
Recent versions of MS Word, save backups in the same directory as the
original file instead of in a separate directory. This results in
confusion between the original file and the backup.

Recent versions add the words "backup of.... in front of the filename
being backed up and substitute the extension .wbk for doc. This is
wearing both a belt and suspenders.

How can I make Word save the backups in a separate directory (and NOT
save a backup in the original directory)?

Regardless of where they are saved, is there a way to make word leave
the basic filename alone? Changing the extension to "wbk" is enough.
Adding "backup of.." messes up sort order.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Len
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Modemjunkie wrote:
[...]

Use the macro in the "Save document to two locations" section of
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The macro Jay recommends will do what you want (and you can then disable
"Always create backup copy" if you like). Also note that you will not see
backup files in Word's dialogs if you don't have "All Files" selected; they
will be displayed in Windows Explorer, of course. One reason for the
difference in name is that, if the names were not different, the files would
appear the same to users who don't have file extensions displayed.

You should be aware, in any case, that the .wbk is not a backup in the sense
you may be thinking of it: it is not a copy of the current version but is
one version back. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm