Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kissecretary kissecretary is offline

Default How do I automatically insert a repeating phrase in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kissecretary kissecretary is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in message

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using Word 2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It depends on your definition of the word 'automatically'. Word does very
little 'automatically'. It requires user instruction.

If you want to store phrases etc for ease of re-insertion then you can use
Autocorrect. You will need to add the Autocorrect Options button to the QAT
(Quick Access Toolbar). It is in the All commands group.
Then type your phrase or whatever, select it and click the autocorrect
button. The phrase (or at least as much as will fit, will be shown in the
'With' window. Type a trigger command - eg for my signature block I use
#gm - and click OK. Typing #gm in a document then replaces #gm with my
signature block. You can include just about anything in an autocorrect entry
that you can insert into a document.

The only way to have an automatic date insertion in a document is to have a
date field (or which there are several types) in the document template. You
can manually insert the date from the Insert Tab Date & Time button.

kissecretary wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in
message ...

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using
Word 2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well my answer was as succinct as your question. Now we know that you are a
new user to Word 2007. That makes a huge difference because we are not
clairvoyants g

However, I see that Graham has given you the rundown. Let us know if you
have any further problems as we know that W2007 is not as intuitive as
W2003.

Terry

"kissecretary" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in message

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using Word
2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

kissecretary wrote:
"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in
message ...

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using
Word 2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

Thank you very much. I'm thinking this will be helpful.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Well my answer was as succinct as your question. Now we know that you are a
new user to Word 2007. That makes a huge difference because we are not
clairvoyants g

However, I see that Graham has given you the rundown. Let us know if you
have any further problems as we know that W2007 is not as intuitive as
W2003.

Terry

"kissecretary" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in message

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using Word
2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

"Instinctive" is a good word to describe the older versions! I type alot of letters that use many of the same sentences. I used to be able to just start typing a sentence -- "As you may be aware from being in Court on today's date"--for example, and the sentence would pop up and I would hit ENTER and it would be there. I don't want to create macros for just sentences or parts of sentences; yet it's a pain to have to type the entire phrase. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes. Although much of the old interface has gone (along with those useful
prompts for AutoComplete), you still have AutoText, though they are now
called Building Blocks.

Once you have typed your phrase/paragraph/tome, select it and then use the
shortcut Alt+F3 (just as it was for Autotext) and that will open the
Building Blocks dialog. Assign this a memorable name and save it. Then to
reuse that Building Block, just type the memorable name and press F3.

--

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Well my answer was as succinct as your question. Now we know that you are
new user to Word 2007. That makes a huge difference because we are not
clairvoyants g

However, I see that Graham has given you the rundown. Let us know if you
have any further problems as we know that W2007 is not as intuitive as
W2003.

Terry

"kissecretary" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in
message

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using Word
2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

"Instinctive" is a good word to describe the older versions! I type alot
of letters that use many of the same sentences. I used to be able to
just start typing a sentence -- "As you may be aware from being in Court
on today's date"--for example, and the sentence would pop up and I would
hit ENTER and it would be there. I don't want to create macros for just
sentences or parts of sentences; yet it's a pain to have to type the
entire phrase. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Well my answer was as succinct as your question. Now we know that you are
new user to Word 2007. That makes a huge difference because we are not
clairvoyants g

However, I see that Graham has given you the rundown. Let us know if you
have any further problems as we know that W2007 is not as intuitive as
W2003.

Terry

"kissecretary" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Use AutoText.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kissecretary" wrote in
message

Sorry but this doesn't help me one bit. It's my first day using Word
2007, and I can't even automatically insert today's date.

"Instinctive" is a good word to describe the older versions! I type alot
of letters that use many of the same sentences. I used to be able to
just start typing a sentence -- "As you may be aware from being in Court
on today's date"--for example, and the sentence would pop up and I would
hit ENTER and it would be there. I don't want to create macros for just
sentences or parts of sentences; yet it's a pain to have to type the
entire phrase. Any suggestions?

Thank you. I'll give it a try.