Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] grant@technologyworks.co.nz is offline

Default Word 2007 - where is outline numbering?????

How the hell do I change the format of my outline numbering in my
Heading 1 style.

This style has a alpha prefix to the number, and was created in Word
97. I now want to add an underline to my numbering and text, but when
I click on Modify to any styles, there is only an option to change the
Number format and not the Outline number format.

I suspect their new "Multilevel list" is the Outline numbering, but
its not an option to edit in a style.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Grant

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

From the multilevel list gallery, click the list that look most like your
own. Then click new multilevel list. In the resulting dialog, which looks
much like the one in W2003, make your changes following the procedures you
used with 2003 (per Shauna Kelly).

Once you get past the idea that the multilevel list set up is not in in the
modify styles dialogs, most steps are pretty much as they were in W2003.

Actually the behavior of this feature seems to be the same as or very close
to what it was in W2003. Recall that doing something as little as changing
the color of a bullet or adjusting the character after the number results in
a new list icon in W2003. And the lists are machine specific not document
specific in both versions. What seems to be missing in W2007 is the ability
to reset a list back to the default. But Word 2007 makes it clearer that
you can make a modifiable multilevel list by creating a list style. I
believe this list style is what was called list template in W2003.

HTH,
PamC

wrote:
How the hell do I change the format of my outline numbering in my
Heading 1 style.

This style has a alpha prefix to the number, and was created in Word
97. I now want to add an underline to my numbering and text, but when
I click on Modify to any styles, there is only an option to change the
Number format and not the Outline number format.

I suspect their new "Multilevel list" is the Outline numbering, but
its not an option to edit in a style.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Grant

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
From the multilevel list gallery, click the list that look most like your
own. Then click new multilevel list. In the resulting dialog, which looks
much like the one in W2003, make your changes following the procedures you
used with 2003 (per Shauna Kelly).

Once you get past the idea that the multilevel list set up is not in in
the
modify styles dialogs, most steps are pretty much as they were in W2003.

Actually the behavior of this feature seems to be the same as or very
close
to what it was in W2003. Recall that doing something as little as
changing
the color of a bullet or adjusting the character after the number results
in
a new list icon in W2003. And the lists are machine specific not document
specific in both versions.

Strictly speaking, the *lists* are stored in documents (and templates) in
Word 97-2007, but the *list galleries* have changed in Word 2007. While Word
97-2003 stored them in the registry for each user/machine, they now reside
in the ListGal.dat file in the user profile.

What seems to be missing in W2007 is the
ability
to reset a list back to the default.

If you are referring to resetting the list gallery, just delete the
ListGal.dat file in the user profile (with Word closed).

But Word 2007 makes it clearer that
you can make a modifiable multilevel list by creating a list style. I
believe this list style is what was called list template in W2003.

As far as I know, list styles store list templates, but they aren't exactly
identical to list templates. They do provide a way to control list templates
(in a similar way that you could control list templates via the top-level
style in an outline-numbered list in Word 97-2003).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

HTH,