New...", forum, newsgroup, Microsoft Word, help, support, Microsoft Office" /> New..." New Users" /> downloaded template doesn't appear in the list when I click "File>New..." - Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

drdug

Default downloaded template doesn't appear in the list when I click "File>New..."

I bought some announcement cards and downloaded the template from Hallmark to the same directory that Word keeps its templates. Only now when I try to open a new document by clicking FileNew...that template doesn't show up in the selection.

It just has the same old generic ones that Microsoft includes in Word.
How do I get this template to show up? I twould really be nice to be able to use it instead of entering everything by hand.

TIA

It depends on what you mean by "the same directory that Word keeps its
templates." If you mean the directory where the installed templates are
located, then this is the wrong one for user templates. Look at the File
Locations tab of Tools | Options for the correct folder path for those. It
will be the same folder where Normal.dot is located. If you are using
Windows XP, you won't be able to find this folder unless you have Windows
set to display hidden and system files and folders.

"drdug" wrote in message
I bought some announcement cards and downloaded the template from Hallmark
to the same directory that Word keeps its templates. Only now when I try to
open a new document by clicking FileNew...that template doesn't show up in
the selection.

It just has the same old generic ones that Microsoft includes in Word.
How do I get this template to show up? I twould really be nice to be able
to use it instead of entering everything by hand.

TIA

Jim

On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:40:33 -0400, "drdug" wrote:

I bought some announcement cards and downloaded the template from Hallmark to the same directory that Word keeps its templates. Only now when I try to open a new document by clicking FileNew...that template doesn't show up in the selection.

It just has the same old generic ones that Microsoft includes in Word.
How do I get this template to show up? I twould really be nice to be able to use it instead of entering everything by hand.

TIA

....and I presume you have takem\n the obvious step and browsed to the
template directory and double-clicked on the desired file?

Blessed be, for sure...