Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hebe

Default Table of contents - missing level

I'm using Word 2003 and I have two problems. First - I can't work out why my
table of contents is not showing Heading 1 level. It shows in the dialog
box, but when the TOC is inserted, no heading 1. Second - when it shows in
the dialog box, it the page nr is not right-aligned nor has any dot leader,
like the other levels do. Heading 1 in the doc wraps onto a 2nd line in some
cases. I've tried putting in a right-aligned tab with dot leader in the
Modify TOC1 box, but it makes no difference.

Lisa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hebe

Solved this one myself - there was a rogue TOC 2 style already at the place I
was inserting the TOC. When I deleted it, Heading 1 behaved properly.

Lisa

"Hebe" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003 and I have two problems. First - I can't work out why my
table of contents is not showing Heading 1 level. It shows in the dialog
box, but when the TOC is inserted, no heading 1. Second - when it shows in
the dialog box, it the page nr is not right-aligned nor has any dot leader,
like the other levels do. Heading 1 in the doc wraps onto a 2nd line in some
cases. I've tried putting in a right-aligned tab with dot leader in the
Modify TOC1 box, but it makes no difference.

Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In answer to the second question, add a right indent to your TOC styles
(leaving the right-aligned tab at the margin) so that the titles will wrap
well short of the page numbers. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

"Hebe" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003 and I have two problems. First - I can't work out

why my
table of contents is not showing Heading 1 level. It shows in the

dialog
box, but when the TOC is inserted, no heading 1. Second - when it shows

in
the dialog box, it the page nr is not right-aligned nor has any dot

leader,
like the other levels do. Heading 1 in the doc wraps onto a 2nd line in

some
cases. I've tried putting in a right-aligned tab with dot leader in the
Modify TOC1 box, but it makes no difference.

Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hebe

Thanks, that has worked for me before, but it's not doing that this time. My
original problem has returned. The preview shows Heading 1, without
right-alinging the page number and without leader dots. The preview also
shows another level which should not be in the TOC, but which does not
actually appear in the generated TOC. The generated TOC includes only
Headings 2 and 3. I think this additional level which appears above Heading
1 in the preview is what is making it all misbehave, but I can't fix it. Any
clues?

Thanks
Lisa

"Hebe" wrote:

I'm using Word 2003 and I have two problems. First - I can't work out

why my
table of contents is not showing Heading 1 level. It shows in the

dialog
box, but when the TOC is inserted, no heading 1. Second - when it shows

in
the dialog box, it the page nr is not right-aligned nor has any dot

leader,
like the other levels do. Heading 1 in the doc wraps onto a 2nd line in

some
cases. I've tried putting in a right-aligned tab with dot leader in the
Modify TOC1 box, but it makes no difference.

Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Some types of formatting added to the TOC can cause it to lose the right
alignment of the page numbers. This is also discussed in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm. You'll usually have to
hand-edit the TOC field when this happens. It helps to understand what the
various field switches do so you can see which one is causing the problem;
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In answer to the second question, add a right indent to your TOC styles
(leaving the right-aligned tab at the margin) so that the titles will

wrap
well short of the page numbers. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.