Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AD AD is offline

Default Restrict number of open files...

Hi there - hope I'm posting this is the right spot.

I have an SBS2003 domain user who persists in opening literally dozens of
Word 2003 documents (both natively and as part of Outlook 2003, with the
option set of "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages" in
OptionsMail Format), and not closing them when finished.

This of course results in the workstation, (P4, 2.8Ghz, 512Mb RAM), becoming
more and more sluggish as all available memory is consumed, especially as
the user also delights in leaving 20-30 web pages open in IE at the same
time, to the point that a reboot is required every few days. (The user also
forgets to logoff from the domain).

As the polite and courteous approach to this problem has failed
spectacularly, is there a way (perhaps Group Policy or otherwise in the
registry?) where I can restrict the number of Word files the user can have
open at any one time? Ideally I would like this limit to be around ten (10),
which when reached would require a file to be closed before a fresh one
could be opened.The web pages and other open files from different
applications I can live with.

I vaguely recollect an old *.ini setting way back in Windows 3.1 which may
now have a modern day sister, but I could be wrong..

Greatly appreciate all assistance offered,

Many thanks,

AD