Wendy

Default Word 2003 doesn't save changes in doc

Hi all,

I have a Word 2003 install - 11.5604.5606

These days, if I should be working on a saved document or even a new unsaved
document, if I go to close the doc, I no longer get a message which asks me
if I want to save my changes first, it simply closes the document and does
not save the changes or the doc unless I do so manually first.

Recently I added in a new add-in global template provided by a third party
program (GoldMine-Word link 6.7.171), that is a connection to a datasource,
and is for merging to that datasource. I know that there are macros involved
with the add-in, but these are 'locked' (according to the message I try to
get when I access VBA).

So - potentially this is the cause of the issue, however, I am not sure that
macros could disable this particular functionality in Word, and am also
looking for any other additional explanations that may account for losing the
'save' functionality.

To be on the safe side, I have also reported the behaviour to the
manufacturer of the GoldMine-Word link,

Could there be any other cause as well I should check?

TIA,

--
Wendy
Jezebel

First, yes macros could do this. Obviously they shouldn't, but it's
certainly possible. Check this forum for any number of posts about how the
latest version of Acrobat prevents saving any changes to your normal
template. Technically, all it takes is to set the document's .Saved property
to TRUE -- Word won't even try saving a document if it thinks it's been
saved already. Or, intercept Word's FileSave command (which is simply a
matter of writing a macro with that name).

That said, there are Word viruses that do this also.

The obvious way to check is to uninstall Goldmine and see if the problem
goes away.

"Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

Wendy

Thank you, it would seem that it is the macro link that was installed, as
when I uninstalled the link the saving feature returned to act as it should.
Reinstall the link again and it disappears again.

I have advised the link manufacturer about this, and have requested an
update to it asap, but I won't hold my breath for an immediate fix.

Cheers,
--
Wendy