J. P. Holcombe

Default Why is my spell check randomly not working properly?

One moment I can type "foucus" and it will catch it.... then (without saving
or closing) later it won't catch the same spelling. (I checked the custom
..dic file to be sure I did not somehow save it with the wrong spelling.

Same document... different user... same thing..... tried this with 3
different workstations... This is not specific to just 1 mis-spelled word
either.

Daiya Mitchell

It may be that part of your text is set to No Proofing, or the wrong
language, or "do not check spelling and grammar." (depends on version, which
you did not mention, though you should always say when asking for help)

To test this, with the cursor in a word that isn't being checked, go to
Tools | Language and see what comes up selected.

To assign a language, select text and use Tools | Language.

This may have happened if you pasted in some text that was already set to No
Proofing, and then kept hitting enter and typing from that block of text.

If this happens in brand new documents with nothing pasted in, you may need
to use a style-based solution instead of the manual formatting solution
given above. Post back if so.

DM

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Probably "(no proofing)/Do not check spelling or grammar" rather than the
wrong language, unless "foucus" is coincidentally a word in whatever
language was selected.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/