Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Teresa Teresa is offline

Default how do you enter a repeating line over a number?

I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number to
show, mathematically, that it is repeating.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do you enter a repeating line over a number?

To enter a repeating line over a number in Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the Equation button in the Symbols section.
  3. Select Accent from the drop-down menu.
  4. Choose the Bar accent from the options.
  5. Type the number you want to put the repeating line over.
  6. Click on the Accent button again and select Bar once more.
  7. This time, select the Stretchy option.
  8. Click on the Accent button one more time and select Bar again.
  9. This time, select the Fixed option.
  10. Type the number or symbol that should appear after the repeating line.

Your equation should now display the number with a repeating line over it. You can adjust the size and position of the line by clicking and dragging it.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are several ways. The easiest is to use the equation editor. Results
aren't always satisfactory, however, unless you write the entire number
using the equation editor. How you proceed depends on which version of Word
you use.

You can also do it using an ADVANCE field code.

3{ advance \l6 \u12}_

puts the _ character above the 3, approximately where you'd want it when
using a 12 point type size. Create the field by pressing Ctrl+F9, typing
advance \l6 \u12 between the {} braces, then press F9.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Teresa" wrote in message
I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number
show, mathematically, that it is repeating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Here are three ways to put a bar over another character:
€¢ use a field coded as {EQ \x\to(a)}. This solution increases the vertical spacing for the affected line (which you could get around
by reducing the fields point size).
€¢ use a field coded as { EQ \o (-,a)}. To achieve the desired result, superscript the first character in the field and subscript the
second character, which leads to small characters for both (which you could counter by increasing the point size), but this too
increases the vertical spacing for the affected line €¦
€¢ use a field coded as {EQ \s\up6(\f(,a))}. Compared to the other solutions, this one has the advantage of retaining the character
sizes without increasing the line height. The €˜6 in the formula controls the bar height.
In each example, replace the €˜a in the field with the desired character(s).

The create the field braces (ie '{ }'), press Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Teresa" wrote in message ...
I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number to
show, mathematically, that it is repeating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

"Teresa" wrote in message
I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number

show, mathematically, that it is repeating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Teresa Teresa is offline

Thanks for the feedback. I am only able to get a number and then a
superscripted bar immediately after, for some reason. I tried the third
suggestion from "macropod" and it works for me.

"Teresa" wrote in message
I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number
show, mathematically, that it is repeating.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Teresa Teresa is offline

I tried the third method and it worked great. (it was the easiest for me to
understand)
many thanks...

"Teresa" wrote in message ...
I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number to
show, mathematically, that it is repeating.

GraceUnderFire GraceUnderFire is offline
Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Tyson [MVP] View Post

"Teresa" wrote in message
I'm using Microsoft Word and want to know how to put a line over a number
show, mathematically, that it is repeating.
I just tried this method and was having success, until I pressed F9 at the end. Nothing happened. I tried again, with the same result. I finally highlighted the field code and pressed ctrl +F9, and it finally worked. And now I am very embarrassed, because I tried it my way again and it didn't work! So, I highlighted and hit F9. This time it worked!

Last edited by GraceUnderFire : September 4th 17 at 01:45 AM Reason: I wasn't finished, the first time. Needed to retract first answer.