Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lollipop

Default How do I multiply a value in Word?

I have a mail merge document that outputs values from another peice of
software. I need to multiply one of the merge field values to show a
different value on the actual document.
e.g. merge field outputs 1000.00 and I want to multiple the output value by
1.5 to display and print the value as 1500.00
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bG9sbGlwb3A=?=,

I have a mail merge document that outputs values from another peice of
software. I need to multiply one of the merge field values to show a
different value on the actual document.
e.g. merge field outputs 1000.00 and I want to multiple the output value by
1.5 to display and print the value as 1500.00

you need to use a field in order to perform calculations in Word. For your
requirement:

1. Insert the merge field you want to use in the calculation.

2. SELECT the entire field

3. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field brackets { } around the mergefield

4. Press Alt+F9 so that you see all the field codes

5. Modify the field set like this (I'm assuming the mergefield's name is
Amount for this example):

{ = { Mergefield Amount } * 1.5 }

6. Alt+F9 again to hide all the field codes

Note: do NOT try to create field brackets by typing them from the keyboard.
The actual field brackets only look like { }, but they're actually a special
character that Word creates when you press Ctrl+F9.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org