Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Default How to make the file search to find files by "text or property"?

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Bob I for replying.
That goes without saying. I set file types and Search Location also.
Best regards,
Dima

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Bob I for your questions!
Yes, the Location is actually accessible, in NOT a hidden or system folder.
I can browse to those files and open them.

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Bob I Bob I is offline

I am puzzled as to why it is not finding the file then. Have you tried
several different searches? Is the search criteria being added to the
"includes"? Was it working before?

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Bob I for your helping questions!
Yes, the search criteria is being added to the "includes".
It was working before partially. It did not find all files.
I have tried Windows 2000 file search. It did not find the excel file by a
number in its cell too.
Best regards,
Dima

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Bob I Bob I is offline

Perhaps the text that you are searching for and the "number in Excel"
are not the same thing? They only appear similar to the user?

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Bob I for your thought!
There is no a "number in Excel", but only "text or property" in the Property
list in the Advanced file search.
Why does not the "text or property" search for a number in the Excel? How to
find an Excel file with the number in its cell then?
Best regards,
Dima

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Gary Smith Gary Smith is offline

The numbers you see when you view a spreadsheet in Excel are not the same
as the data stored in the .xls file. No general search tool will be able
to find such numbers unless is is capable of parsing the .xls file format
and interpreting the contents. That's why you can search for numbers from
withing Excel but not from an external function.

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Gary Smith for your explanation!
The Excel (Office) File search is not an external function. It is called up
from the Excel File menu.
Best regards,
Dima

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Gary Smith Gary Smith is offline

Actually as I understand it, the file search function is a separate Office
function that is invoked by Excel, Word, and the other applications, so it
is a generalized external function rather than an application-specific
one. You'll note the the associated help refers to searching for text and
never mentions numbers. Numbers in Excel are normally not text, which is
why the search function cannot find them. However, it's possible to enter
numbers as text in Excel, and those numbers should be searchable.

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio
Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Gary Smith for your thought!
The file search function does find Excel files by numbers (not text) in them
some times.
Best regards,
Dima

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Bob I Bob I is offline

Search WILL find a number in a cell in an Excel spreadsheet. The
question is what are you actually searching for, as compared to what you
expect it to find. You have NOT given an example of this. So we will
have to keep guessing until you discover what causes your search to not
return what you expect. Excel will find many variations in the
representation of a number. So the issue is something that your system
is set to or configured to do that is causing the issue. Is it perhaps a
protected file or cells?

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Bob I for your reply!
It is not a protected file or cells.
Excel does not find any variations in the representation of my number. I
search for the number, shown in a cell and in the formula bar. I type it in
the "Value" field with the "Text or property" selected. I selected the file
folder in the "Results should be" and the Excel file type in the "Search in".
Best regards,
Dima

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Bob I Bob I is offline

You say it only works sometimes, compare the circumstances that work
with the one that does not work. What are the differences?

Dima wrote:

Hello!
How to make the Office 2003 Advanced file search to find files by the "text
or property"? The Office 2003 sp2 Advanced file search does not find a Word
or Excel file by a word or a number in an excel cell.
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.excel
Dima Dima is offline

Thanks Bob I for your reply!
I cannot find any conceptual differences.
Best regards,
Dima