Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Mike is offline

Default From Excel to Word

Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT big?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What versions of Word are you using?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Mike is offline

By the way, you might be raising an issue. The Excel file that I am using is
supplied to me by a customer, and I have no idea what that person's Excel
version might be.

"Mike" wrote:

Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then that's the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions which is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word
table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT
big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Mike is offline

Thank you, Beth, for your kind assistance. I do appreciate it.

That box was not checked, so that is probably not the cause. Might there be
some other hidden commands that might cause this?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then that's the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions which is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word
table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT
big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Henk57[_182_] Henk57[_182_] is offline

"Beth Melton" wrote:
-
First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save
Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the
first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then
that's the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions
which is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Mike" wrote in message
...-
Office 2002.

"Beth Melton" wrote:
-
What versions of Word are you using?--
--

"Mike"
wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word

table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT

big?

--

-

How do you exactly paste it? "As linked" is notably a file inflator.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Do you encounter the same results if you paste it in a new document? Also,
what are the exact steps you are using to copy/paste?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save
Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the
first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then that's
the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions which
is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word
table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT
big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Mike is offline

I select A1 then scroll down to D3636 and copy. I open a brand new Word file
and create a table with 4 columns and 3636 rows, select the the table in the
same way I did the Excel cells and paste.

I thought there might be some embedded commands or something in Excel that
was causing this bloat or something else I could turn off. Something strange
is going on moving from 367K to 5.7M.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save
Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the
first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then that's
the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions which
is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a Word
table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing THAT
big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I fired up an old laptop with Word 2002 and tried it and my results were
similar: a new blank Word document with 3600 rows of Excel data containing
numbers only (default formatting), resulted in a 3.75 MB file size. I don't
know what your Excel data consists of so that may account for the difference
in file size.

Pasting the Excel data in the document, instead of inserting a Word table
first, may decrease the file size slightly. I didn't test this since Word
kept locking up on me pasting only 1000 rows at a time so it took awhile to
even get my first test accomplished. (There's a reason why it's my old
laptop. grin)

I don't know if this helps much but it does appear I'm able to duplicate
what you are encountering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save
Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the
first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then
that's
the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions
which
is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a
Word
table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing
THAT
big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Mike is offline

LOL :-)

Thanks for really going out of the way. At least you have proven I am not
crazy or incompetent.

I did try a dozen variations beyond what I reported to you (as I thought
what I reported was the "cleanest," maybe even the most straightforward
manner to accomplish this task.)

It will remain a mystery I guess.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save
Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on the
first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then
that's
the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions
which
is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hello, I am trying to paste a 4 x 3636 table from Excel into a
Word
table.
However, the size jumps from 365Kb to 5.7 Mb. Why is it growing
THAT
big?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You're welcome. :-)

Sorry I didn't have a better answer but as you noted, you have confirmation
you aren't crazy or incompetent. (Which I never thought was the case to
begin with. ;-) )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Beth Melton" wrote:

First go to File/Properties and on the Summary tab, make sure "Save
Preview
Picture" isn't selected. If the embedded Excel object appears on
the
first
page and is part of the preview picture saved with the file then
that's
the
likely cause of the file bloat you are encountering.

IIRC, this was more of an issue in Word 2002 than in other versions
which
is
why knowing which version you are using is helpful information. :-)

"Mike" wrote in message
Office 2002.